This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

This is the perfect article to read if you are getting bored of the typical Vodka Crans, Vodka Coke, and Screwdrivers. Maybe you are like me, a typical college student who loves to party, but also balling on a budget. While the classics are always easy to make and crowd favorites, sometimes you get tired of the same old thing. I am going to give you four drinks to spice up your cocktail repertoire. 

The Kalimoxcho 

I heard about this from a friend who recently returned from studying abroad in Spain. This drink is super simple, one-part red wine and one part coke. That may sound gross at first, but everybody I know who tried it was shocked by how much they liked it. The trick is to use the cheapest red wine you can find and regular old Coca-Cola. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of wine, but with this drink, I feel included in wine night. My recommendation is to add ice. 

Red Wine Pour
Alex Frank / Spoon

Gin and Tonic 

Okay so this drink is not unheard of, but I hardly ever see it at college kickbacks. It is a very simple one to three-part(s) gin and three-parts tonic water. You can choose how much gin you put in your glass so if you like to feel a burn you can or keep it lowkey if you do not like the taste of alcohol. This drink is best served with ice and a slice of lime. Try to squeeze out some lime before you throw the wedge in, it makes the drink taste better. As one of my friends said, it tastes like a spiked Sprite. I recommend the New Amsterdam Gin, which in my opinion is pretty budget friendly. 

Mojito
Keriss101 / Spoon

Spiked Boston Cooler (root beer float)

I’d like to think that I came up with this idea, but someone has tried this before. If you are unfamiliar with the Michigan drink, Boston Cooler, it is basically a root beer float but with Verners (a local ginger ale). So, for everyone not in Michigan, this drink is a spiked root beer float. You can add any liquor, but my choice would be Captain Morgan since it already has notes of vanilla, and it is one of the cheapest whiskeys. Not a fan of dark liquor? Substitute the captain with Tito’s vodka. To make this drink, add vanilla ice cream, Verners (or root beer), along with your go-to liquor. Viola! 

Anna Schultz-Chocolate Milkshake And Hand With Rings
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Frozen Daiquiris

Fantastic during the summer months, frozen daiquiris are the perfect way to cool down. I like to make these for a group of about 4-6 people so take that in mind. Using white rum (Captain Morgan is budget-friendly), dump as much as you’d like in the blender. Typically, I pour about half of a 750 milliliter (about 25.36 oz) bottle. Then take 1-3 bags of frozen fruits, ice, and add them to the blender. Mix it all up and you have your new favorite summer drink. Serve in a tall glass with twisty straws for added effect. Note: Strawberries taste the best in my opinion. Also, you could add a little bit of sugar to make the drink sweeter. 

Please drink responsibly.

Astana Gaffney is a Senior studying English, with a minor in American Culture Studies at the University of Michigan. When not in class she is probably listening to music, watching stand-up comedy on Youtube, or hanging out with friends. Her hometown is Detroit, Michigan.