Life > Experiences

Transformative Travel: Seeing the World Has Changed How I See Its Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Sure, there’s no place like home. But there’s also nothing like the joy of traveling. And while my love of travel may not be exactly unique, my unique travel experiences have changed my outlook on life and how they’ve helped to shape the aspirations I have for my future.  

I been lucky enough to have parents who value adventure and exploration, and from a young age, they’ve taken me across the globe to places that have opened my eyes to new people and shown me the diverse ways in which people live. These experiences have taught me that there is no better way to become an engaged global citizen than to hear the perspectives of everyday people who live a life that does not look like yours.  

Human interaction is the aspect of travel that I find the most valuable. For example, a period of history like Ancient Egypt’s is hard to grasp, especially when there’s so much to cover. Simply going to see a few major sites would have been enriching on its own, but hearing about it from a tour guide who actually grew up in Egypt and studied archaeology in Cairo adds an insight that cannot be found in books. Listening to his interpretation of his country’s history and how it has informed present day Egypt was a fascinating lesson that gave me a newfound appreciation for the culture.  

Similarly, an experience eating dinner in a family’s backyard “restaurant” on a small Croatian island allowed me to see just how different my life is’. This family lived completely off their land, with limited access to the internet and even electricity. While this way of life was unfathomable — and maybe even undesirable — for my ten-year-old self, when I think back on it now, I remember how content the family was and how authentic the experience felt. They were so excited to have us try the local specialty and to share that part of their culture with us. That’s the nature of the human experience that traveling highlights. No matter how different our cuisines, faiths, or even living conditions are, everyone has their community — the people they love — and customs they value. Being able to travel during my formative years has shown me the value of these differences and why they should be embraced rather than criticized or feared.  

I have no doubt that the knowledge and perspective I’ve gained while traveling has led me to not only have a deeper appreciation for humanity, but also for the planet itself. The more of Earth I see, the more I fear it will be destroyed by pollution and climate change. Understanding the size of the issue has ignited a passion for environmental justice and preservation within me. When my family went to the Galapagos Islands, I was immersed in biodiversity unlike anything I had ever seen. Island to island, I was able to see how detail-oriented nature is and the power of adaptation. Unfortunately, the bliss of moments spent snorkeling with sea lions or looking up at a sky full of frigate birds was tainted by the realization that this was how all habitats should look — untouched by human greed.  

I now know that I want my future to center around restoring our planet and preserving the diversity of this world’s many cultures. I want the family I met in Croatia to be able to continue sharing their local specialties and not worry about extreme heat killing their crops. I want to feel confident that the animals and beauty of the Galapagos islands will still be there for generations to come. And I want the tour guide in Egypt to continue to feel pride in his country and compatriots and know that they are respected.   

I believe it can be done by harnessing the universal good in humans, while also addressing society’s flaws. Without traveling, I may never have found a connection between humans’ cultures and their environment or seen how powerful their intersection truly is. Whether it’s across the globe, or across your city or town, getting outside of your comfort zone and gaining a new perspective can be a powerful way to spark new feelings and new ideas. 

Class of 2027. Avid traveler, reader, and Swiftie. Looking to pursue a career in social justice.