Stuck At Home This Summer?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Summer is just around the corner, and for some of you that means exciting internships, studying abroad in an exotic locale, or interesting summer classes in beautiful Ann Arbor. But what if you’re spending your summer at home? Sure, you can get a job and earn money, or take a class or two at a local community college, but that hardly sounds like an action-packed few months. Don’t despair – there are plenty of things to do in or near your hometown, whether you’re from a great metropolis or the middle of nowhere. Try these ideas for a fun summer at home!

Fitness Classes
Stay in shape and have fun by taking a fitness class. Always been curious about pilates/zumba/any other fitness craze? Now is the time to give it a shot! If there’s not a fitness club in your hometown or nearby, try the community center or parks and recreation department; plenty of these institutions offer these types of classes. And while you’re at it, why not get your mom, sister, or friend to take it with you? Then you’ll get a good workout and a great bonding experience.

Visit Local Attractions
Everyone has attractions in their area that they’ve never bothered to check out. The long summer U of M gives us is the perfect opportunity! So head to that local history museum and attend that festival in the next town over. You’ll have a new experience and maybe even learn a little something.

Community Theatre
There’s bound to be a community theatre community organization in either your town or a town not too far away. Why not see what they’re putting on this summer and go to a few productions? Better yet, get involved! It’s okay if you don’t have any prior experience as long as you’re enthusiastic. Join the chorus of a musical, or put your sense of style to good use by helping out with costumes and makeup. You’ll have a great time and meet interesting new people of all ages.

Volunteer
There are bound to be endless opportunities in your community for volunteer work. You can go the soup kitchen or food pantry route, or give your time by helping out a day camp program for kids, lead tours at a local museum, or help keep a nearby park clean. Contact local volunteer organizations, parks and recreation department, or church for more ideas.

Enjoy Yourself
No, seriously. It may seem lame to be home all summer, but you’ll miss all the time to relax next fall when you’re pulling all-nighters at the UGLi to get everything done. So take it easy and enjoy your months off! 

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.