jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spenser Robnett, Class of 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Name: Spenser Robnett

Hometown: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Year: Sophomore

Major: Screen Arts and Culture, Communications

Fun Fact: I lived in Japan as a kid.

HC: What is the craziest thing you have ever done?

SR: Colored outside of the lines in a Scooby-Doo coloring book when I was 5.

HC: If you had to describe yourself with one word, what would it be and why?

SR: Open. I’m all for new experiences, acquiring new knowledge, making new friends, and pretty much anything that changes my perspective from the previous day. I like to think I’m a friendly person and easily approachable and that’s the attitude that works for me.

HC: Who would you love to have dinner with, dead or alive? Explain!

SR: I would have coney dogs with Neil deGrasse Tyson. To be enlightened by his vast knowledge of astrophysics and the cosmos would be the coolest moment of my life. I could see us talking about sports and then all of a sudden transition to talking about black holes and the universe.

HC: Biggest pet peeve?

SR: Autocorrect for sure.

HC: Goal in life?

SR: Become a famous director/producer/actor and then coach my kid’s basketball team.

HC: Who has been the biggest influence on your creative work? How so?

SR: Quentin Tarantino, Anthony Bourdain, and 2pac. Quentin Tarantino’s Pulp Fiction is the reason I’m involved in screen arts and wish to pursue directing as a profession; also, his movies are a mixture of crazy with satiric humor, which is a major influence on my own style. Anthony Bourdain is an influence because of his brutal honesty and willingness to discover new experiences through exposure to different cultures. Finally, I had a video production teacher in high school who gave me the entire collection of pac’s work and his influence on me, beyond just hip-hop vibes, inspires me to participate in community activism, combat social injustice and racism, and create a better world for everyone to coexist in (with the exception of his later collaborations with Outlawz where he raps with hatred and promotes gun violence). I didn’t choose the thug life; it chose me.

I'm a Sophomore at UMICH studying International Studies and American culture! I bleed maize and blue all day everyday, because duh. Family, friends, food (aka bae), and traveling are my passions :)