Six Steps to Better Sleep

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Do you ever have trouble sleeping? Same here. Between a never-ending workload and the constant stressors of college, it can be hard to shut off when the time comes to get some shut-eye. Here are some tips and products to help with that, even in your loud apartment.

1. No electronic devices 30 minutes before bedtime.

Now I know it sounds hard, but this is a proven way to get better sleep. Plus it gives you time to catch up on the new Game of Thrones book you’ve been meaning to read. Or, if you’re feeling totally inspired to find out more about better sleep, you can read Arianna Huffington’s new book called The Sleep Revolution.

2. Designate special clothes for sleeping.

These should be clothes you only wear to sleep, therefore signaling your body that it’s time for bed. I love my pajamas from Lands’ End. They’re so soft and a great transition out of my ex-boyfriend’s old high school sweatshirts.

3. Easy yourself into sleep mode.

You can do this by drinking tea, taking a hot bath, or lighting a designated sleep candle. I absolutely love the ones from fresh.

4. Find quiet.

While this may be easy to do at your parents’ house when their bedtime is before midnight, it can be hard to achieve in the thin-walled, obscenely loud apartments at school. For this, I use a sound machine to emit white noise so I can block out everything from the party going on next door to my roommates’ most recent boy drama. My favorite sound machine is Rohm; I especially like the gentle wave setting.

5. Make your sleep experience the best ever.

Whether it’s investing in pillowcases that always keep your pillow cold (I recommend the ones by Sheex X Generation U) or that super plush blanket you check out every time you stop in Bed Bath and Beyond.

6. Interested in finding out more about your specific sleep?

Check out the Sleep Shepherd Sleep Hat or Sense by Hello. Not only do they regulate your sleep, they tell you what you need to do to get better sleep.

Good luck and sleep tight my fellow collegiettes!

Images by: the Huffington Post, Lands’ End, Nordstrom, marpac.com, Sheex, Forbes 

Jaclyn Nagel is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the University of Michigan. She is a senior studying English and Creative Writing and earning a certificate in Sales. She enjoys eating copious amounts of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and reading the Harry Potter books over and over again. Follow her on instagram as @manisandmojitos! And make sure to follow our chapter's Twitter and Instagram at @hercampusumich!