Self Confidence: Can’t Be Written on a Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Most every girl loves an amazing hobo handbag, incredible electric blue pumps, or an unforgettable LBD, but the most powerful possession any girl can own is her self-confidence. Unlike the others, you can’t buy this one. Instead, you must look to friends, family and most importantly, yourself, to radiate jaw-dropping self-confidence. Once obtained, you can use this weapon to improve as a student, make a new friend or attract a worthy date, and score an awesome job or internship.

Let’s face the facts: this day and age, it’s hard to stand out. Maybe you were an all star in high school, but as soon as you walked into your first UMich class, English 125 in Mason Hall, things changed. Your fellow classmates were also all stars just like you and you suddenly didn’t feel as confident as you used to. Or maybe you’ve noticed that everyone and their brother has a 4.0 GPA, is involved in eight different clubs, and serves their community in a variety of different ways. Here’s the thing – resumes may be black and white but the real world isn’t. And even these people, who seem to have everything going for them, don’t always score the dream job or internship they’re looking for.

You can’t write self-confidence on a resume, or walk into a classroom, a room full of friends, or go on date shouting at the top of your lungs, “I AM SELF-CONFIDENT!” (Warning: if done, your sanity might be questioned.) But if you can find your inner self-confidence and let it subtly shine, it will serve you in many ways. Yes, some things are best in small packages, but other valuable things simply can’t be packaged. Here are eight little tips to guide you in finding that extra edge and convey the self-confidence you’ve been searching for.

1) Focus on your accomplishments and strengths: Remind yourself everything you’ve succeeded in and realize that you can do it. Start simple. Maybe you helped a friend after a bad break-up or loss. Or maybe you were the captain of a sports team or the scribe of a club. These things may seem trivial but they were things you succeeded in – remember that.

2) Take risks: As Emerson once said, “Skill to do comes of doing”. What he meant is that the only way you can become a pro at something is by actually trying it. Once you succeed, you’ll realize how extraordinary you are.

3) Stand up for what you believe in: This can be a challenge if no one in the room agrees with you, but push yourself to speak up. A teacher, boss or friend will respect you for your actions or words. They will know that it took a lot of courage and confidence – both very enviable traits.

4) Accept compliments: When a friend compliments your black and white top, refrain from saying something along the lines of “Gross, I look like Shamoo”. Kindly say “Thank you” and realize that you do look great.

5) Exercise: Don’t cringe. There are other options than the dreadful gym. Yes, you can go to the gym, turn on your iPod, and stare at the white wall or sweaty derrière in front of you for 45 minutes, or you could participate in something slightly more invigorating. Yoga, kickboxing, or a walks or runs with friends are just a few viable options. Not only will the endorphins released after your workout put you in a good mood, but also, the accomplishment of say, a headstand, will reinstate in your brain that you are capable of things you never thought you could do.

6) Carry yourself well: Make sure you feel comfortable and confident, while still conveying a sense of professionalism, in whatever way you present yourself. Good posture also makes people think you’re important.

7) Believe in yourself: No one will have confidence in you if you don’t have it in yourself. Your mom may have told you this since you were five, but hey, it’s true!

8) And collegiates, please, please, please sign off of Facebook when you’re having a lousy day and are feeling sad. Studies have shown that while on Facebook, you tend to overestimate other people’s happiness and underestimate their misery – thus making you feel down and blue.

So go outside, embrace the day, and remember that you rock! 

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.