Samantha Elias ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The majority of people would agree, there is always that one friend who has the best clothes or the best style. I’m talking about the friend whose closet you are constantly raiding to find something trendy to wear out on Saturday night or to wear to your lecture to impress that cute guy who always sits next to you. We have all wondered, “Where does she find her clothes?”

In a decade where it feels like every “new” fashion idea has “already been recycled” from a past decade, fashion industry insiders have had to really think of out the box in order to stay fresh and innovative with trends. Vintage shopping has become extremely popular because it has created a new trend; the combination of gorgeous pieces from the past with the everyday classics.

This week’s Campus Celebrity, Samantha Elias, Ross Business School senior from Hewlett, NY, took her friends’ compliments on her cool vintage-inspired wardrobe and discovered a great business opportunity. She opened The Vintage Twin with her twin sister Morgan, a handpicked vintage store located on South University right above Village Apothecary. In addition to carrying handpicked items, the twins also carry their own original designs from only vintage materials. Every piece in the story is one of a kind! Samantha is a great example of how having an eye for unique fashions and products along with a business background can be destined for success in today’s fashion industry.

I had the opportunity to interview Samantha and get a better feel for how she got the idea for opening her store and how she has been so successful in doing so, even in a downward market. The Vintage Twin is an independently financed and operated company that uses 100% recycled materials. Also, 10% of all proceeds go to charity. For all you wishful entrepreneurs out there, take some notes!

What was your inspiration for opening The Vintage Twin?
Samantha: I was living in Manhattan wearing a lot of vintage clothing and people stopped me EVERYWHERE demanding to know where I got what I was wearing. It was so clear that this diverse group of people consistently interested in my outfits were stricken by how unique the items were. [These comments] shed light on how much people value something different and now that is exactly what I provide.

When did your interest in vintage fashion and/or fashion in general begin? 
S: I worked in a family friend’s clothing store for many years starting around age 11. The owner allowed me to accompany her to showrooms for buying, to her studio for designing, and gave me a ton of liberties around the shop. These were invaluable experiences that definitely helped me get where I am today with my boutique.

Where is the The Vintage Twin located?
1112 South University Ann Arbor – above The Village Apothecary

How often do you get new inventory into the store?
EVERYDAY and even throughout the day!

Where do you find the items that you sell?
EVERYWHERE. I shop a lot and am constantly coming across new sources.

Besides clothing and accessories, what other products do you offer?
[We also offer] jewelry, furniture, home goods, art, and anything and everything vintage you can imagine.

Do you have any events or special deals throughout the year? 
We have sponsorship events whereby any organization can sponsor an event, for free, at TVT and invite local and nationwide supporters to shop at TVT, save 10% and 10% of all proceeds from the event will go to the charity of their choice. Shopping to fund raise is a fun, cool, and really easy way to support a cause.  Any and every organization is welcome to inquire and set a date!

If you are interested in finding out more about The Vintage Twin or getting updates about their specials or new inventory, follow TVT on Twitter or like them on Facebook
Twitter: @thevintagetwin
Facebook: VintageTwin

Also, TVT’s website is re-launching in the next 10 days! People nationwide as well as internationally will be able to shop their collection as well as submit personal styling requests, receive immediate feedback and suggestions, and be rewarded with store credit for their successful interactivity! Check it out at: thevintagetwin.com

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.