This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Transferring to one of the nations biggest and most difficult schools would be a challenge to most teenagers, but Riley Frenak did not miss a move.  Before she even arrived in Ann Arbor at the start of the semester, she had already made the cheerleading team and secured a spot doing research at Motts Children’s Hospital.  Riley began cheering at a young age and after winning a state championships her senior year in high school, she was not ready to give up the sport.  At the same time, she has always wanted to be a doctor.  At Michigan, she is able to pursue both of her passions.  Riley is a true campus celebrity, balancing her academics, her involvement in clubs, and a social life.   

HC: Why did you decide to transfer and what was it like transferring as a sophomore?
RF: I decided to transfer because I wanted a larger campus and more of a challenge academically.  Also, I was very interested in the opportunity to participate in research as an undergraduate student.  Michigan offered me all of these things so it was an obvious choice for me.  My transition was very smooth.  I really made sure I knew what I was getting into before I decided to transfer. Also, I have some really good friends here that helped with the transition and a ton of support from my parents and the rest of my family. 

HC: What are you studying?
RF: I’m a neuroscience major for pre med. I’m working on a research project at Mott Children’s Hospital, which is looking into various care techniques for children that are on dialysis and trying to increase their quality of life.  It is something I am very passionate about because it gives me the opportunity to work with children. I plan on becoming a pediatrician and this gives me a chance to see what that would be like. Also, by talking to the kids I am able to help the doctors I work with determine which treatments are going to be the most helpful in making their lives better which is extremely rewarding.

HC: How did you become involved with cheerleading?
RF:  I started cheer because my best friend wanted me to do it with her in middle school. And ever since then I absolutely fell in love with it and have been on a team ever since.  I’ve been cheering for 8 years.  Tryouts for Michigan cheerleading are in April, so I came to Ann Arbor and learned a cheer and a dance and the fight song and then had try outs the following day where we performed the material we had learned in addition to showing what stunting and tumbling skills we were capable of.

HC: What is your cheerleading schedule?
RF: We practice three times a week for two hours and then have to complete lifts in the weight room twice a week.  During football season we perform before the game at various events and then cheer the game.  During basketball season we cheer one to two games as well. 

HC: What has been your most memorable moment this season?
RF: The Notre Dame night game.  It was just amazing seeing everyone come out for the game and supporting the team.  Getting to be on college game day in the morning and then being on the field for the last few minutes was one of the most incredible moments I’ve ever had in all my years of cheerleading.    

Shira Moskowitz is a sophomore at the University of Michigan where she is studying Sociology with a minor in Hebrew and Judaic Studies. Outside of Her Campus, she performs with the Smile Bringer Singers, volunteers at Hillel and works as a tour guide for admitted students.
Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.