Rachel Samitt: MRelay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Name: Rachel Samitt

Major: Undeclared

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey

Her Campus: What is MRelay?

Rachel Samitt: MRelay is Michigan’s Relay for Life, which works with the American Cancer Society to put on an event (Relay for Life) at the end of the year to raise money for cancer research. Every donation to MRelay funds Homes for Hope, places for cancer patients to stay near hospitals during their treatment, rides to people with no family to help, and treatments in general. All of the money raised goes to research, support, prevention, protection, and treatment.

HC: What is your position within MRelay?

RS: Last year, I was the mentorship specialist, so I was involved in the recruitment of teams and helping them fundraise and get the resources they need. This year, I am the director of mentorship, so I am in charge of the entire mentorship aspect. I make sure the teams are signed up, I help make sure they have everything they need to be successful, and I help them recruit team members.

HC: How did you get involved?

RS: I have always been passionate about volunteering with cancer organizations because my dad passed away from cancer, and it has always been important to me to fight back against losing someone. I could either fight back by being upset or fight back with positive thoughts by trying to make sure what happened to my dad doesn’t happen to anyone else. I knew I had to get involved, so I found Relay for Life and saw the amount of community that they had, and it drew me in so much. Also, I like that the funding goes to all cancers and not just one specific type. I ended up applying and getting the position that I wanted, and that is how I became involved.

HC:What is your favorite part about it?

RS: My favorite part is knowing that I am doing something to make a change. Also, I love the community that it has given me. People know what I’m going through and that gives me a place where I feel understood, which gives me such a rewarding sense of community.

HC: How can interested members get involved?

RS: There are three ways for interested members to get involved. One way is to be a participant on a team, another way is to be a team captain and create your own team, and lastly, you can apply to be on the committee, which happens at the beginning and at the end of the year.