Peter Kavinsky is Goals; No One Can Tell Me Otherwise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Peter Kavinsky. The boyfriend I’ve been waiting for all my life, the man of my dreams. He’s perfect, but of course he doesn’t exist. I decided to put my obsessive re-watching of To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before to good use and write a list about how I believe Peter is truly a god amongst men:

1. I feel like this one really needs to be put first. The way he says “woah woah woah” is just genuinely the most endearing thing I’ve ever heard in my life. I think at this point I’d prefer to hear him say that over and over again than I don’t know, “I love you”, or something. 
  2. The way he proudly displays Lara Jean Covey on social media. Too many guys have made people on campus feel like they’re ashamed of them, but not Peter Kavinsky. No, Peter shows Lara Jean off, not in a gross trophy wife kind of way but in an “I’m so lucky” kind of way. 
  3. The nickname “Covey” needs to be mentioned because it’s changed my outlook on being called by your last name. I used to think it was a major friend-zoning move, but the way Kavinsky says “Covey” is utterly adorable. Somehow he doesn’t sound like a bro, and it’s not just a generic endearment.
  4. He makes compromising flirty. That scene where they discuss Sixteen Candles and Fight Club is so smooth. He doesn’t even bat an eyelid when Lara Jean says he has to watch her favorite movie with her, and then he sets up another date to watch his favorite, too. Pretty sure Lara Jean didn’t notice his suaveness, but I definitely did.   
  5. Not sure how she managed to resist him but Kavinsky is very respectful of Lara Jean’s “No Kissing” rule. And bonus: the alternative ways he showed affection were amazing. The love letters (if we ignore that at first it was to make Jen jealous), the upgrading of the back pocket thing to become a back pocket spin, the Yakult buying… everything. It was all swoon-worthy. 
  6. When he shouts in the hallway after Jen plasters the walls with the picture of them in the hot tub I was honestly thrilled. He didn’t react like so many guys I know have, where they actually encourage the back-slapping and praising, while humiliating the girl in the process.
  7. It was so nice to see them actually talking and listening to each other. I thought it was sweet how bad he felt when his mum asked about Lara Jean’s mum, and when he confided in her about his dad, my heart melted.
  8. I went to school in the UK where I knew approximately zero guys that played lacrosse, but my friends here tell me that lacrosse guys have a douchey reputation, so I just want to give him kudos for rising above that.
  9. Kind of a dick move but when he called Josh a “Bon Iver Wannabe” I genuinely cried tears of laughter. He’s undeniably funny when he’s mad. 
  10. Also, this gif speaks for itself:
  11. And finally, this tweet about the hot tub scene sums it up: 

Consider me completely obsessed and totally single.

Image courtesy of Awesomeness Films, GIFs courtesy of Awesomeness Films via GIPHY

Katie Mercer is an International Student at the University of Michigan from London, England! She's studying Communication Studies, and hopefully Marketing and Writing. For more about Katie, follow her Instagram (@katieemercerr) or her Twitter (@katiee_mercer). Go Blue!