cdc n3mn7IgtwS4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
cdc n3mn7IgtwS4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

Overcoming Imposter Syndrome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

If you weren’t already aware, there is a phenomenon known as “imposter syndrome.” It is defined as a pattern where an individual doubts their own accomplishments, with a persistent fear that they are a ‘fraud’ in their own work. They feel as though what they make and any positive reception is a fluke.

I’m sure we can all relate to this — feeling inadequate in our own efforts. As I write this, I, even, feel as though I am doing horribly. As I edit this, I, still, feel as though I am doing horribly. It’s impossible to be one hundred percent satisfied.

blonde woman with ponytail with her head in her hands leaning over a laptop
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

We live in an era where we are taught to be perfect, taught that success comes from hard work, taught that we need to be better than others to succeed. We are taught that success lies in being “The Best” at something. Imposter syndrome both grows from and spurs on that feeling that one needs to be superior. With imposter syndrome, it becomes hard to realize that your accomplishments are built off your hard-work and you deserve what you have.

We tend to look at ourselves through skewed lenses, blurred by the way we think other people see us. Our self-perception stops us from seeing the truth. It isn’t fair to judge ourselves so harshly. There is an undiluted pressure to be so much, and we can’t have it all.

And it isn’t fair. One would think we would be kinder to ourselves in a world where forgiveness is sparingly given. There is always a second chance. 

I think it’s easy to forget ourselves, but we need to remember that we’re important. Worrying about our own skills is far too strenuous to occupy the mind. The next time someone tells you that something you’ve created is good, why not believe them?

Divya Shankar is a freshman at the University of Michigan who is hoping to explore her ideas and interests through writing!
I am a Junior in LSA at the University of Michigan, majoring in Biology, Health and Society and minoring in English. I'm pre-med and hope to become a surgeon one day. I'm extremely passionate about health, literature, and social justice. Also, I add raisins to everything. It's concerning.