This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I’m a very jumpy person, so it’s safe to say that I do not thrive during Halloween movie marathons. If the above applies to you too, here’s a list of movies that won’t have you cold-sweating on the couch:

1. Halloweentown (plus sequels): I love this movie and look forward to watching it every year. It’s super cute and corny, a definite childhood favorite I just never tire of. 
  2. Practical Magic: this movie brings a witchy-twist to a rom-com. It made me laugh, and stars Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock as sisters who made me want a sister of my own.
  3. Hocus Pocus: just an all-round fun movie to watch. The actresses are hilarious and portray their characters brilliantly.
  4. The Rocky Horror Picture Show: the songs, the music and the dancing are all fabulous to watch, and the cast and characters bring “Transsexual, Transylvania” to life. “Give yourself over to absolute pleasure… see the Rocky Horror Picture Show” says it all.
  5. Little Shop of Horrors: The main character is super sweet and nerdy, and the villain is a real villain (don’t watch if you don’t like the dentist!) This is a wonderful musical, albeit very 80s. Warning: prepare to have the songs stuck in your head for the rest of the day.
  6. Buffy The Vampire Slayer: kind of a guilty-pleasure, but still fun. If you have more time, the TV series is better and a very good watch.
  7. Casper: definitely a throwback to being a legitimate child (not even a tween) but when the ghost’s name is “Casper the Friendly Ghost”, you shouldn’t get too scared.
  8. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: just a true, family-friendly Halloween classic. Maybe not one that you’ll watch on a girls night, but it’s endearing nevertheless.
  9. Teen Witch: starring Blake Lively’s older sister, this movie made me want my own witchy powers. It’s a fun escape from reality, set in the real world, kind of like a Sixteen Candles type deal.
  10. Shaun of the Dead: this movie is so funny, but in a very British humour, satirical kind of way. Simon Pegg is hilarious, and the movie pokes fun at zombie clichés.
  11. The Addams Family: this one’s for you if you enjoy dark comedy. It’s slightly creepy and the actors pull off their characters well. 

Enjoy, hopefully not at your own risk!

Images courtesy of Silver White Entertainment, Buena Vista, and Everett Collection

Katie Mercer is an International Student at the University of Michigan from London, England! She's studying Communication Studies, and hopefully Marketing and Writing. For more about Katie, follow her Instagram (@katieemercerr) or her Twitter (@katiee_mercer). Go Blue!