Nightlife in Ann Arbor: Never a Dull Moment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

We all had our specific ideas about what going out at college would be like. Tired and weary of the monotonous high school house party, we came to Michigan with crazy images of endless keggers down frat row, bar hopping, and impromptu backyard concerts. The question now surfaces: has Ann Arbor lived up to our expectations? Known to be one of the best college towns in the country, there is certainly never a lack of things to do at night. I have found that Ann Arbor is truly never boring, as long you are willing to explore, try new things, and ready to have some fun! Here are some of the highlights of Ann Arbor nightlife that every Michigan student should take advantage of.

1. Bars, clubs, and drink specials…oh my! For the 21 and over crowd, Ann Arbor boasts some awesome bars and clubs if you’re in the mood to go out, mingle, and do some dancing. So, grab your highest heels and let’s take a closer look into some of Michigan students’ favorite hot spots.

• Scorekeeper’s Bar and Grille: For anyone who has ever walked around the State street area on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday night and saw girls clicking in their heels shuffling down the streets with boys (smart enough to wear jackets) in tow, it is a safe bet that they were headed to Scorekeeper’s. Nicknamed “Skeeps” by loyal followers who don’t let the typical PACKED college bar atmosphere ruin their good time, this bar is the place to be on the 3 popular bar nights noted above. Just make sure you get there before 12 – the line tends to grow at a rapid rate! Some drink specials include $2 Corona bottles and tequila shots on Tuesdays and $1 Long Island Iced Teas on Thursdays.
  • Rick’s American Café: Located in the heart of campus on South University, Rick’s is the most poplar spot for the majority of upperclassmen. Much bigger (and darker) than Scorekeeper’s, Rick’s is known for its crazy mixers such as the “mind-probe” and drinks that come in large bowls with multiple straws for sharing. Rick’s can boast a much larger dance floor than Scorekeeper’s, but the two are known to be similar in nature. A fun barhopping night usually includes a trip to both Skeeps and Rick’s – guaranteed recipe for a good time. Some drink specials include $2 SoCo Lime shots on Tuesdays, and ladies get in free on Thursdays!
  • Dream Nightclub: Put in place of the old Studio 4, Dream is a perfect spot if you are not 21, but still are looking to dive into the club/bar atmosphere. As an 18+ spot, you are welcome to go enjoy the loud music and huge dance floor- just be ready to coordinate those big black X’s on your hand with your outfit!

2. Fraternity Parties: College Fun 101. If you are involved in the Greek system, there are constant fraternity parties going on.  Whether it is a mixer with a specific sorority and a specific frat, or an “open” party, these are always safe bets for a good time.  It is becoming increasingly more difficult to attend fraternity parties if you are not involved in Greek Life, as the new rules of the Social Responsibility Committee are getting harsher.  However, if you know someone in a frat, use your networking skills and find out if their house is hosting an event. Word to the wise: Make sure you are aware of whether or not there is a theme! Who wants to show up to an ugly sweater party in 80’s gear?

3.  Grab some friends and catch a show! Ann Arbor is home to the picturesque Michigan Theater, a local staple known for showing lesser-known Indie films. Because of the uniqueness of the movies this theater shows, it can always be something new and fun to do.  The Michigan Theater also hosts musical acts on occasion, which can be a great thing to do at night. Recently, Rob the Drummer and Lyle Lovett & John Hiatt came to play. Ann Arbor also has the Hill Auditorium, which has many great shows to see for a fun nighttime activity (Robert Plant was here on January 21st!) Check out http://www.michtheater.org/to see shows, dates and times as well as http://www.coasttocoasttickets.com/buy/ann_arbor_mi_concert_tickets.htm to see all the concerts coming to venues all around the Ann Arbor area! Host a before-concert party with your friends to start the evening off right. If all goes well, hopefully an after party will arise!

If none of these options perk your interest, check out the UMix activities in the Michigan Union. These activities include arts and crafts, music, dancing, and food- all in a safe and responsible atmosphere. UMix runs from 10-2am most Friday nights and all are welcome. I hope this article has provided you with some fun things to do to spice up your weekend – maybe I’ll run into you somewhere along the streets of AA!

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.