A New Year, A New Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

With the start of school, campus is always buzzing with a plethora of events to go to. As collegiates our schedules are packed with places to be and people to see, so much so that it can be difficult to keep track of all of the awesome things going on. When the excitement of a new school year has died down and you fall into the rhythm of your schedule, make sure to check out the University production of the play Almost, Maine written by John Cariani and directed by Jerry Schweibert.

Although it seems like school has just begun, the cast of Almost, Maine has already been in rehearsal for three weeks now. The play opens on a chilly winter night sparkling from the radiance of the Northern lights in the town of Almost, Maine. The show follows the story of nine different couples in the town that are falling in or out of love. This feel good play is packed with comic and poignant snap shots of relationships that examine the universal search for human connection.

If you haven’t been fortunate enough to see a University Production at Michigan then frankly you are missing out. Along with our incredible business school, renowned engineering school, and ground breaking medical school, the University of Michigan has one of the top theater programs in the country. For any avid Glee fans it was only four short years ago that Darren Criss was roaming the halls of the Walgreen Drama Center as a theater student here. So do yourself a favor and go see Almost, Maine and who knows? Maybe the next big television star is among the cast.

The show opens Thursday October 4th and runs until Sunday October 14th. Tickets are $10 with a student ID and the show is less than two hours, so don’t worry about missing a night out!

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.