Never Underestimate The Power of Nude Tones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

To balance out the dark and gloomy winter weather, neutral colors have resurfaced into the fashion world! I am normally an extremist when it comes to coloring, so I love wearing either very bright or dark colors. Initially I was opposed to the reintroduction of nude tones because I assumed they would be too “Plain Jane” for my taste, but I, too, have jumped onto the neutral colors bandwagon.

If you haven’t ever worn neutrals, I suggest introducing these tones into your wardrobe. The wonderful aspect of these colors is the versatility they offer to any skin tone. Another bonus is that more natural tones can compliment any outfit for a variety of occasions, including both casual and formal events. For example, for my medical school interviews, I paired my nude-colored pumps with a black business suit and the pop of the pumps lightened the whole outfit. The subtle color provided a refreshing look from the usual black suit that many people tend to wear for business meetings. What’s so eye catching about the lighter, more natural colors is that they add both elegance and sexiness. Using nude shades of lip and eye makeup can, as Carmindy from “What Not to Wear” commonly states, “enhance one’s natural beauty.” The gloss and shadows don’t overwhelm your face, and it makes people question whether you’re really wearing any makeup at all! There are certain guidelines I would recommend when using neutral toned makeup and nail polish. For medium to darker tanned skin, try a lighter nude color to bring a glow to your face and to avoid blending the shade completely with your own skin tone. With fairer skin, you can experiment with both light and dark neutrals, depending on the look you want to achieve. The lighter, warmer hues give off a more fun and flirty vibe, while the darker and cooler hues are for more sultry evening-wear looks. Regardless of your skin tone, try nude shades with different warm and cool undertones to figure out which colors work best with your personality and style!

I am a self-proclaimed nail polish addict, and I have found that the OPI collection of nude polishes are stunning! My favorite polishes are shown below starting from the 3rd left OPI nail polish: Tickle My France-y, My Very First Knockwurst, and Dulce De Leche.

I have also used Estee Lauder’s makeup for years and their neutral lip glosses, “Pink Sugar” and “Quartz,” are worth trying. Sephora’s Naked line offers many options for nude shades in blush, eye shadows, and lip glosses as well. These are but a tiny glimpse at some makeup companies that offer beautiful neutral shades. Explore online and at your local mall to find even more shades. Plenty of celebrities are ahead of the game and have embraced this style for years. Jennifer lopez, Megan Fox, and Eva Longoria are a few actresses who have frequented the red carpet with nude lipsticks and eye shadows. Also, one of the most famous reality TV families, The Kardashians, have started wearing more neutral shades.

Nude shades bring a soft, subtle and timeless look to any face. Sometimes less is more!