Necessary Wisdom from 10 Girls Who Studied Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

If you’re lucky enough to spend a semester studying abroad, you’ll probably look back on it as an opportunity that changed you deeply — you probably learned about different cultures, tried new foods, danced to new music, learned new languages, and changed your worldview in general. It’s a special time to travel unencumbered by the heavy workload of your home university and to do things you might not ever get the chance to do stateside. During the second semester of my junior year, I got the opportunity to spend a semester in Jerusalem, an incredible ancient city teeming with diversity and modern culture — and most of my friends from school went to different cities. I asked a bunch of people who studied abroad for a semester to tell me one important thing about the cities they lived in, so whether you’re studying abroad in one of these cities, planning a visit, or just wanderlusting over travel blogs on Instagram from the comfort of your bed, listen up.

Barcelona:

“You should only buy a 10-ride Metro pass because it’s such a beautiful city and you’ll want to walk everywhere. Also, Bo De B has the cheapest, yummiest sandwiches ever, and Milk is the most amazing brunch!”

Cape Town:

“The nature is insanely amazing. It’s a beautiful city surrounded by mountains on one side and ocean on the other, so there’s the perfect type of nature for every person, no matter what you’re into. All the hikes are walkable from the university campus.”

Copenhagen:

“A huge part of Danish culture is centered around trust — for example, on the Metro, you get a card to swipe before you get on the Metro and then again after you get off. It’s not like in NYC where you can’t get in if you don’t swipe, and you could totally get on the train without swiping but NOBODY does it because of trust. Also, in Danish, all the “d”s are pronounced like “L”s.”

Florence:

“It rains a ton, so make sure you bring appropriate shoes/outerwear for rainy weather. Make sure to befriend a promoter to get you VIP access to clubs. Also, the Secret Bakery is as good as it sounds.”

London:

“London is super expensive so make sure you know how to budget or you will go broke — fast. Most museums and exhibits are free and so easy to reach via public transit, so you should definitely go see things between classes or on weekends. As tempting as it might be to travel every weekend, stay in London sometimes because there is so much to do.”

Paris:

“It’s okay if you don’t speak French, but the most important thing is not to be loud, especially in places like restaurants or the Metro. If you’re making a scene, nobody will be nice. Also, if you are someone who likes art then you should pay attention to the zillion changing exhibits; a majority of the time your student card will get you into things for free! And go to all of the big museums before tourist season starts, and then never go back.”

Prague:

I chose Prague because it was so central and so easy to get around the rest of Europe. The money felt like monopoly money since the exchange rate is 24 Koruna to $1, so I didn’t feel guilty about not turning on my oven once in 4 months. There’s a huge nightlife and club scene, but locals smoke inside the clubs/bars and are generally sketchy. The best club is Lucerna on Fridays where you dance to 90’s songs all night long. The John Lennon Wall is really small and actually overrated but a must-see and visitors will beg to go, so just take them.

Shanghai:

“There’s this really cool area called the Former French Concession (surprise: it was formerly a French concession!) and it’s right in the middle of Shanghai but it’s a totally European neighborhood, with European cafes, architecture and shops. I was shocked to find it but it was so cool!

Sydney:

“Surry Hills is a gem to explore for brunch and drinks. Also, everyone has a favorite beach (mine is Bondi) but make sure you see them all!”

Tel Aviv:

“Israel has a bunch of different national and Jewish holidays that happen in the winter/spring, and you should definitely participate! There are insane street parties for Purim and all-night dancing for Israeli Independence Day. Even though you might get school off for these days, don’t miss them by going out of town, because they’re really special. Also, take a sheirut (shared shuttle) from the airport instead of a cab — you’ll save a lot of money, especially if you fly often.”

Images courtesy of Huffington Post. 

Alex Weiner is a senior at the University of Michigan who loves typography, social media, dogs, and strong coffee. She divides her time (and love) between Miami, FL, where she was born and raised, and Ann Arbor, MI, where she is currently pretending that the cold doesn't bother her at all.