My Top 5 Favorite Books from Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The holiday cheer has sadly dwindled down, and we are back to the below freezing temperatures and never-ending work. Thanksgiving and Winter Break are everyone’s favorite time of the year, and I enjoyed mine by reuniting with family and friends, eating until my stomach hurt, and splurging on Black Friday sales. But one of my favorite parts of this well-deserved break was just that, having a break! At school, it’s always so go, go, go that there is barely any time to do the enjoyable things that keep you relaxed and happy.

One enjoyable activity that I love doing but never have time for during the school year is reading. There are tons of benefits that accompany reading for leisure like sympathizing with others, experiencing intellectual pleasure, and even becoming a better writer. I love to read, and break was the only designated time to for me to sit next to the fire or on a beach and read. My friends and I love to exchange our good reads, and I have kept an ongoing list that I am so excited to keep crossing off! I decided to share with you some of my favorite books that I both loved reading over break and hope to read soon.

1.  The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

This was a memoir written by Jeannette Walls about her experiences growing up in poverty and living with her many siblings and dysfunctional parents. This memoir is emotional and painful to imagine, but it keeps you turning the pages in amazement. Also, the movie recently came out, which is another activity on my agenda.

2.  Once We Were Brothers by Ronald Balson

This is a fictional World War Two story about two characters who were once as close as brothers but then turned enemies fighting on opposite sides of the war: Elliot being a Nazi and Ben being a survivor of the concentration camps. When they both grow up and find each other living in the same city, Ben fights to maintain justice from the past.

3.  Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

As you can see, I am a history nerd. This was the best book I read over break! Don’t be intimidated by the length of this book; it goes by so quickly! This fictional World War Two love story is engaging, heartbreaking, and relatable. I felt connected to the characters and couldn’t put the book down.

4.  The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

This addictive thriller is about a girl who is kidnaped and taken to a cabin in hiding. The book switches perspectives as each character is revealed more in depth. The end has a huge twist that you must read to find out!

5.  I am Malala by Malala Yousafza

This is an inspiring book that I plan on reading this winter. Malala fought for her education rights and, in doing so, was shot by the Taliban and survived. Her incredible story was made into a book that I know will evoke sympathy and insight into the lives and cultures of other women across the world.

Images courtesy of: Pinterest