Style > Fashion

My Favorite Looks from 2023 SS New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I’m not sure if it’s because the weather is getting colder, or if it’s because this is the first year that I wasn’t at New York Fashion Week (NYFW) with my mom, but I’m feeling nostalgic and a little out of sorts.

It’s been almost 2 weeks since NYFW, so I’ve had plenty of time to not only obsess over the runway pictures my friends have sent me, but to also scour the internet for my favorite looks that designers debuted during Spring-Summer (SS) Fashion Week. I wanted to share some of my top picks with you: 

Badgley Mischka Runway Look 9:

iYv7Yh3GQJBsjf5XGQh19ql18By6ydYv2YfG6hUT7r0UWjASKYqr6goGDgFuIPzPH262BILP1BwTihpW1uma0zo HbqZjhk

This look is to die for. “Romantic Futurism” was the theme behind Badgley Mischka’s entire collection for this season. At surface level, most of the looks that they debuted seem to reflect only the romantic side of this theme. But it’s when you delve into the details that you’re able to recognize the futurism aspect of the theme as well. For example, the bow top is made of technical fiber satin and the silhouette is structured with clear lines. The obsidian color scheme also links the romantic to the futurism theme. As a bow enthusiast, it was love at first sight when my friend first sent me a picture of this look. Who doesn’t want a huge bow shaped top?

Wiederhoeft Runway Look 6 

lPgYUMGCuQ6t4RjOAPUBh6pU5lSes5X0Nyz4K54YcHd36TCgki FkEwnz n40V2CyKqQtc26UoF6S8zJnIKeoL3 TIJL1xM70qGybB9YReTfX

Personally, I haven’t been the biggest fan of Wiederhoeft since he launched his “spooky couture” collection in 2019. However, I’m absolutely in love with this year’s launch of his “Eurydice” collection. For me, this collection invokes a mysterious aura which can only be captured by imagining a solo midnight walk across a long Parisian bridge. As an avid fan of Vivienne Westwood and Vera Wang’s bridal collections, I’ve always loved ready to wear collections that included bridal motifs; this look clearly reflects that. Finally, I adore how this look combines the purity and innocence of a wedding dress with the provocative allure of late night destinations.

Sandy Liang Runway Look 11:

vEfvXJ51rrmIMJs88TKv2pI9wcMT3QsSuGGgROyRpNuK7xJXzU8rji32dkqnM8xs9IpGqB9SByfKVhws3NBcCh0ohnJQD6jRt30h2wgFU0drA2v a448ODStejCrh7Ew9bEBDeO9VV4SG8tM1KJFDrc

I truly don’t think that anything screams “autumn in New York” more clearly than sheer black tights, oversized wool leg warmers, and a black miniskirt. In my opinion, this outfit is the epitome of the casual fall uniform. Sandy Liang’s 2023 SS collection featured a fairly neutral color palette, with the exception of some pops of color and the predictable inclusion of bows. Liang combined the romantic with the gothic by setting traditionally cute fashion elements with either a harder color scheme, as observed here, or with more established silhouettes.

Andrew Kwon Runway Look 14:

wm5W 6ExyOeJpeuL9RBuEml2AoVKKFOUGC7yRXtyo2Ryn53XIsCGrSxT0A2EKq EECwbyDFTxOWFf1zumvjHtjjNqWN uBBK9VLD6hOczPikFFj6mGvRbGpI gAzj8liaRd CWJRj Ln7qN7XV9LrB4

Last but definitely not least, Andrew Kwon’s romantic vision, combined with the elegance of an evening ball gown, is evoked in this beautiful dress. I’m enamored with the off the shoulder straps and the artfully placed bows– I’ll always appreciate bows on any and all outfits. This partly free flowing dress exudes such an energy that lends me to believe that it could be worn in both a formal and a casual setting.

Fashion week is one of my most favorite times of the year, so I hope that these looks inspire you, in one way or another, as you choose your own outfits!

Temmie is a pre medical undergraduate student who is an avid shoe shopper, casual golfer, and frequent art exhibition visitor.