Michelle Gonzalez ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The houses we live in, the buildings we enter everyday and the skyscrapers we marvel at are all things that we take for granted. Who is responsible for creating such intricate and complicated structures? That is a question that not many people stop to consider. The answer lies with the talented architects whose job is to use their artistic prowess to create such designs. The field of architecture has recently burst on to the scene with Hollywood portrayals in blockbuster films such as Inception, with the brilliant visionaries who construct buildings (or in the case of Inception, dream worlds) that become true works of art. In fact, The University of Michigan boasts one of the strongest architecture programs in the country for both undergraduate and graduate levels of study.  Our newest campus celebrity is Michelle Gonzalez, a junior who is devoting everything she’s got to becoming the country’s next great architect. As I interview Michelle, she sits at her desk using a digital design software to create her latest 3D structure with ease, her wheels turning with every alteration she makes. Many people don’t realize that the architecture students are some of the busiest and most dedicated students on campus, with an immense amount of time spent on every last tedious detail. Let’s learn a little bit more about a day in the life of this hard-working, aspiring architect, Michelle!

HC: What is the specific degree that you are working towards here at Michigan?

I am working towards a Bachelor of Science in Architecture as a student at the University of Michigan Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning.

HC:  What inspired you to want to pursue architecture in the first place?

I have actually wanted to be an architect for a very long time, because many interests I had when I was younger pointed me in that direction. I always loved geometry and physics, and really enjoyed learning how to put things together in a creative way. Yes, I was truly a nerd. Then, around 8 years ago, my parents decided to build a house in Pennsylvania. From week to week, I would travel with my dad to pick out designs for the house, see the blueprints and observe the entire construction. It was amazing to me to see the end result; I essentially saw this house form from nothing, and I was part of every step of the process. Right then, I knew that is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

HC:  For those of us who don’t know much about the program here, could you describe to me how it works?

Well, freshman and sophomore year are designated as “pre-arch” years. So, you are not admitted into the actual school of architecture until your junior year, which makes it a two-year intensive program. Honestly, it is constant work, but it is work that I love. The program is structured with multiple projects, classes and studio work.

HC:  What exactly is studio?

Studio really has two meanings. It is the actual physical studio where we each have our own desk and space to do our work in, and it is also a class. The class itself is where we work with our materials, which range from cardboard, wire, pipes, and acrylic to concrete and wood. Basically, studio is where the “magic” happens, where we all go to make our designs come to life. Right now, studio is the closet thing we have to being an actual architect. Also, you can ask any of my housemates, and they will tell you that I am never at home. We all essentially live in studio, and spend most of our time there!

HC:  That sounds like quite the work environment. So, what are some of the projects you have worked on in studio so far this year?

For this semester, we have had 4 major projects, that all build off one another. The first was a layered model, complete with about 125 layers of museum board. Our task was to create a form that investigated solid vs. void space. The second project was to make the void from that form in concrete. The third project was very cool. We were given a site on campus, which we had to investigate and represent in an abstract way. The fourth project had us take our 2 initial models and create a building for the on-campus site.

HC:  I see you are using a type of digital design software right now on your computer. What exactly do you use the digital aspect for?

We use a modeling program called Rhino to create a 3D representation of what we are trying to show and design, and a lot of time goes into it. We also use a program called Autocad to create construction documents, which are basically manuals for how to put things together. We are all very new to these programs, so it’s been tough because we are learning how to use them as we go!

HC:  What are you working on right now?

Right now, I am working on a project I’m really excited about; it is going to be a walk-in theater. My inspiration was the idea of a drive-in movie theater combined with the idea of experiencing an alternate reality. I want to capture the idea of a movie taking control over what you think about so much so that it becomes your reality. The theater I’m designing would be a place that would allow this to happen.

HC:  Wow, that is very creative. I’m curious as to what a typical day is like for you, as this all sounds like a lot of work! Can you describe it for us?

Oh man, my days are very busy. I am on North Campus by 9:30 am at the latest and I usually do not leave North Campus until 1:30 am (which is an early night for me). There have been more all nighters this year than I ever thought I’d have to pull! I spend the day going between classes and studio, working on my projects. A lot of people don’t realize how much work goes into being an architecture student, because we have to spend so many hours working out every last detail of our designs. It won’t necessarily be constant work, but it is constant thinking. A lot of times, I will just stare at my paper trying to figure out how to construct my latest drawing, and figure out exactly what I want to do. There is no right answer in architecture, so you can constantly change and alter things. Everything we do is intentional, and we design to make people feel certain things when they look at it. An architect’s work is never done!

HC:  Do you ever wish that you were less busy with all of the work you have to put into becoming an architect?

No, because I really cannot see myself doing anything else. I truly love just being in the studio, because it is such a change and a different kind of work from my previous 2 years here. All the architecture students have become so connected through studio, and we are like one big family because we spend so much time together. My projects take so much time and are so much work, but it is work that I love to do. I love trying to put together these puzzles, and constantly try to figure out how I can make things better. When you find a project you love, it is so rewarding to see a finished project, and it makes everything worth it.

HC:  What do you hope to be doing in the future?

Well, hopefully I actually become an architect! But, before that, graduate school is definitely in the cards for me, probably on the East coast somewhere.

HC:  What kind of architecture are you most interested in?

I have always been interested in residential architecture. Although, recently I have been told about a type of interior design architecture for businesses. I’d love to travel all over the world and design retail stores.

All I have to say is, look out Ellen Page—there’s a new architect on the block!

If you would like to see some of Michelle’s work, click on this link to see her incredible portfolio!
http://issuu.com/michellegonzalez/docs/archportfolio2011

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.