Lucas LaFreniere ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As the hot, sticky days of summer take their leave, the brisk winds of fall graze your skin, the green color melts off the leaves, and a new school year begins.  Now starts the endless nights of coffee and books, while you reunite with your long lost friend, the library.  However, while a fresh academic year starts, so does your opportunity to meet new guys.  What’s the perfect way to capture a guy’s attention these early weeks of school?  We get advice from the guys themselves.

Major: Double majoring in Psychology and English
Interests: Song-writing, poetry, football, music, deep-conversation
Favorite Quote: “Let all that you do be done in love.”
Relationship Status: Single
Turn-on: Empathy, humor, intellect, style
Turn-off: Stuck-up, selfish, inconsiderate 

What’s the first thing(s) you notice about a girl? 
One thing I notice about a girl is if she has a friendly, welcoming vibe.  You can tell that she is confident and sure of herself, but not egotistical.  Also, if a girl has a good sense of style, and presents herself in a way that is artistic and true to her identity.  Uniqueness is important.

What’s the best way a girl can approach a guy (while she’s walking down the street, in class, or at a party)?
Strike up a genuine conversation about common interests, and be sincere.  

How can you tell if a girl is interested in you?
When it’s clear that she’s devoting more attention to me than the rest of the people in the room and smiles more than usual, is very bright with forward body orientation, and when she seems really interested in my thoughts. 

What’s one thing a girl can do or say that instantly signals that you’re in the friend-zone?
If she talks about other guys extensively.  Also, if she seems distracted when we hang out but still wants to spend time with me, it’s a general sign that she isn’t romantically interested. 

His advice: The best tool that we have in starting up romantic relationships is our intuition, so the best way to cultivate that kind of sense is to review past friendships and relationships and analyze what we did, how we felt and acted, and how others reacted. 

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.