Leslie Weisz ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

College life is stressful for all of us. With the combination of academics, extra curriculums and our social lives, juggling everything is often a daunting task.  Next time you think that you have a lot on your plate, consider what our newest campus celebrity takes on everyday…. Sophomore Leslie Weisz is perhaps the most involved student on the University of Michigan’s campus. As I interview her, she sits comfortably in her sorority house kitchen with the sounds of Taylor Swift radiating from her headphones as she graciously takes a break from her biology homework to talk with me. Let’s get to know her a little bit better, so that you can understand why this vivacious young lady is more than worthy of the campus celebrity title.

So, what exactly are you involved in here at Michigan?

First and foremost, I am a member of the Air Force ROTC. The list continues with…a defensive center mid for club Women’s soccer, assistant coach for Women’s soccer at Ypsilanti High School, swing kid for K-Grams, member of Young Life Church Group, member of The Arnold Air Society community service organization, and member of Sigma Kappa sorority. Also, I was originally recruited for the Division 1 Women’s soccer team and played for my entire freshman year.

Wow. And on top of all that, I understand you have a very challenging major?

Yes, I am a biological chemistry major.

How do you manage all of these activities? What keeps you motivated?

I feel like I want to be the best I can be, and maximize every opportunity. I don’t want to have any regrets about something I did not try. Also, my planner is my best friend.

I am very curious about what made you want to pursue a career in the Air Force and take the ROTC route here at Michigan.

Well, one day in 6th grade, I came home and told my mom that I never wanted a boring desk job. I wanted what I did to have an impact on the world. But the biggest thing my mom always stressed was that I needed to have a college education first, so ROTC allowed me to accomplish both of these things at the same time. After graduating, I will be committing 4 years of active duty to the Air Force as well as 4 years in the reserves after that.

What is a typical day like for you?

I wake up at 5:45 every morning. I then go to physical training or drill at 6 a.m., and come back home at 8 am to get ready for class. I have class everyday from 10-4, and then, depending on the day, I have soccer practice, or an ROTC event or meeting to attend. I top off the day with doing my schoolwork.

With all of these things going on in your life, do you ever feel overwhelmed? How do you center yourself when your feeling stressed?

I feel overwhelmed everyday of my life.  But, my stress release is definitely running to my favorite music. I also enjoy the casual game of Call of Duty….

For anyone that has ever met Leslie, they will tell you that she is the most energetic, hilarious and good-hearted person that they have ever met. You would never guess that she ever feels stressed because she is such a well-balanced woman who—on top of all her activities—still knows how to have fun with her friends. Her motivation, drive, and commitment to everything she undertakes are qualities to be commended and admired. Her Campus is proud to call Leslie Weisz a true campus celebrity!

Leslie is the fourth from the left!

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.