Learning Your A, B, C’s for the Real World (Post-College)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

In-between those late night Pancheros or Bubble tea runs, crazy parties, or (bummer) late night library sessions; it’s hard to imagine life after college. Right now you’re just worrying about passing that test tomorrow, let alone graduate. However, before you know it, you’ll be in that beautiful cap and gown with a diploma in your hand, ready to step out into the “real world.” Then what?

As a recent college graduate, I’m realizing that there were some pros and cons to my college experiences. Yes, I met wonderful people and aced a bunch of classes (with those late night cram sessions), but I wish I had gotten more advice on how to prepare for a career. To avoid the post-college lounging around back at home, aimlessly searching for a quality job that uses your degree and fits your interests, here are some ways to solidly pave your way to a dream career.

• Don’t slack in distribution-credit courses. Students tend to look at the distribution requirement as place for “filler” classes – you take them but they don’t really mean anything. Wrong.

Take classes that could potentially give you a stronger skill-set. Examples of such classes are introduction to finance, marketing management, computer programming, journalism, etc. Look at the class content and make sure it’s something that has practical use beyond college. For instance, “introduction to Tibetian Buddhism” may be an interesting course, but may not translate into concrete skills for many common jobs.

Most employers take into account the experience you’ve had in their field of work. If you’re a neuroscience major trying to step into the business world, having a finance class or two in your transcript can boost your resume in their eyes. Those few classes may be the tipping point between an interview and a rejection.

These distribution classes give you lee-way in taking classes courses that have nothing to do with your major. The distribution requirement isn’t supposed to be a punishment, so use them to your advantage! In the end, they can broaden your prospective career choices, and enhance your resume as an applicant.

• Engage in your classes. As easy as it is to zone out, try to take something from each class. Even if it’s a subject to which you can’t really relate, go into the class with an open mind and participate in class discussions. Trust me, you will learn something from every class, if you just take a few minutes to ex-out that Facebook screen on your laptop/phone, listen, and even contribute your own thoughts to a professor’s lecture. The knowledge may come in handy in a future job interview.
  • Find a major you are passionate about. It’s tempting to automatically gravitate to a major that’s full of “easy A” classes. The reality is, it’s Michigan – half of those classes will not be easy A’s even if that’s the stereotype.

Due to the economic slump, jobs are more competitive than ever. Holding a B.A./B.S. degree is not enough. During interviews, or even while you fill out job applications, employers want to get a sense of what you have actually taken away from your time at Michigan and how you will benefit their company. By choosing a major that fits your interests and personality, you’ll easily answer these questions.

Don’t avoid a major just because you’re worried about it being difficult. Beverly Sills once said, “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” Basically, if you want to end up in a position of prestige and one that you enjoy, you’ll have to put some effort into it. However, if you choose a subject that captures your interest, the work won’t seem so bad, and you’ll be proud of your accomplishments in the end.

• Go to the Career Center! I went there twice before graduating, and I wish I had gone earlier. These people are truly qualified at what they do. They help with everything from job-hunting to advising for pre-professional programs! Plus they will spend as much time as it takes during individual sessions (my appointments have taken over an hour), they keep in touch with you, and will make follow-up appointments to make sure you’re doing well.

If you’re a junior or senior and have no clue what you want to do post-college, or how to even start thinking about translating your major into a career, stop by this place. These people are experts at resume-building, networking, and job-searching. You don’t have to be sure of your plans after college, they can talk you through it and map out a plan with you.

I highly encourage students to go here, and if you’re a recent college graduate, you can still use their services for free for up to 18 months. This is the only time when you will have a career advisor for free. Usually non-students have to pay a fee for their services, but it’s an amazing service that many students just don’t utilize or know about. The career center does not hold your typical academic advising sessions, they really get to know the nuts and bolts about you and tailor the sessions that way.

• Have some time for self-reflection. In-between running around to classes and those student organizations, take a step back and think, what is the point of all of this? What do I want to gain from my college experience, and where do I want to end up?

Try to create cohesion between the clubs in which you’re involved, your major, and your preferred career. You’ll have to think this through for resumes, but in general, list the skills you’ve gained from each program and class. A common question that employers ask in job interviews is “what makes you qualified to work in our company?” If you take time to think this through during your undergraduate years, the answer will be a no-brainer and employers will be impressed with your thought-out response.

If you have trouble finding a link between all your clubs and your major, talk to a career center advisor, or your academic advisor. Many times, there may be a connection that you’re not seeing. If you really cannot find cohesion between all of your activities, perhaps re-evaluate what you’re truly passionate about and try to become more involved in programs relating to that field.  For example, if you’re biology major, but you’re involved in a writing club, a choir, and a pre-medicine organization, perhaps volunteer at a hospital or get involved with a research project. By delving deeper into the world of medicine, you can gauge a better sense of whether you fit into this field of work.

Planning ahead on how to make yourself a strong applicant for jobs, prior to graduation, will put you leaps and bounds ahead of your college classmates when you enter the job market. You’re paying thousands for an education at a top-notch school, why not use it to the fullest extent?