Laura Tomassi ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I felt that the only proper way to introduce this week’s Campus Celebrity and what she does to help so many of those less fortunate than herself was to start off with a quote. Although, the author was listed as anonymous, I came across this quote last week while I was surfing the web:

“Many small people, in many small places, do many small things, that can alter the face of the world.”

The idea that one individual can change the world is an idea that encompasses the entire organization of Dance Marathon at University of Michigan (DMUM). Each individual contribute to a great cause help create big change, helps us achieve more, and in this case, helps the organization help more individuals. Fifteen years ago, Dance Marathon at the University of Michigan was established. The non-profit student-run organization has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars that have gone towards helping children with disabilities and providing them with the necessary pediatric rehabilitation that they need.
This past week, I had the opportunity to sit down with DMUM Executive Director, U of M senior, Laura Tomassi. Laura is a Dual Concentrator of Sociology and Women’s Studies. The Livonia, MI native, has always been passionate towards helping others. I loved having the opportunity to take time of my busy schedule and to sit and have a cup of coffee at Starbucks with her to discuss exactly what is it that she does, what exactly is Dance Marathon as an organization, and how she chose to get involved with such an impactful student organization.

HerCampus: First off, can you explain what Dance Marathon is for those who may not be aware of the organization?

Laura:Dance Marathon is a student-run non-profit that raises money and awareness for pediatric rehabilitation. The University of Michigan chapter raises money for and helps families from Motts Children’s Hospital in Ann Arbor, MI and Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak. The pediatric rehabilitation that Dance Marathon funds is primarily recreational rehab, typically not covered by insurance, such as martial arts and other athletic activities. This type of rehab helps with children’s development, but is not a medical “necessity,” per se, and therefore, is often not very affordable. DMUM is a year-round organization that hosts fundraisers, social events, and family events where the children with disabilities actually come to campus for activities, such as pumpkin carving, and a charity ball. But, the entire year culminates at the end of March with the actual “dance marathon” in which participants pledge to stand up for 30 hours in support of the children we work with. Children range in both disability and age, up to age eighteen.

HC: What is the main event of the Dance Marathon organization?

L: The main event is the actual “Dance Marathon,” which is like a massive 30 hour party with hundreds of student dancers. There are many student groups who come and to perform as well as outside bands. The Marathon hosts large group activities and provides six different meals, all donated by local restaurants. There are approximately 2,000 visitors throughout the event.

HC: How did you initially get involved with Dance Marathon?

L: I started off as a dancer in the organization. An alumni from my high school was on planning a team and recruited me. I didn’t really do much during my freshman year, except show up at the final event with a check. But, I ended up having so much fun that I came back the following year as a Dancer Relations Representative. As a junior, I became the Entertainment Chair on the Central Planning Team, which required me to be in charge of blocking off times and scheduling what entertainment came to the final event and when and what people ate throughout the 30 hours.

HC: What drew you to get more and more involved within the organization, eventually moving up to become the executive director?

L: I kept up with DMUM because I made a lot of friends. It became a sort of social network for me. Initially, I joined as a way to get involved on campus, but I did end up falling in love with the cause and working with children. It is so inspiring to watch these young individuals overcome the obstacles posed by their disabilities. I plan on going into no-profit work after graduation. I don’t know if I will necessarily stay in the health field, but I am sure that I want to do something service oriented.

HC: What has been your most rewarding experience working with DMUM?

L:That’s a tough question because there are so many to choose from! But, I’d have to say that it was when I assisted at this rehabilitation therapy called “Tree Climbing Therapy.” It happens twice a year and DMUM brings out a program that can literally take any child up in a tree, even if they have a ventilator or a wheelchair. The first time that I volunteered to help, I didn’t expect much out of it. However, there was this one little boy that wouldn’t go up in the tree. He just wouldn’t do it. He stood on the ground in his harness and cried. His mother was supportive and told him that he did not have to go, but that he really should try. I talked to him for about a half and hour and he finally decided to go up in the tree. When he got up there, he started crying because he was so happy. His mom started crying too, and pretty soon, we were all crying because there was just so much joy on that little boys face. This experience just showed how beneficial the therapy programs that we sponsor are to both the children and their families. It is important to realize that these seemingly small activities are actually momentous and life changing in the eyes of a child and their parent.

HC: I’m sure that you have had many impactful, positive experiences, but what has been the most challenging aspect of your role as Executive Director of DMUM?

L: Since there are 28 people on the Central Planning Committee, the biggest challenge is uniting with 27 other people. We are all here for the cause, yet we all have different motivations, so our biggest challenge is getting everyone on board with just one idea. It’s hard to form a consensus. We need to get all these ambitious, smart, and motivated people with big ideas to all work together. This is a role that I was not really prepped for because everyone is always looking to you for answers. However, everyone is really great. I love to work in an organization where our biggest difficultly is that everyone cares so much.

HC: What has been your most exciting accomplishment throughout DMUM?

L: I would have to say that my most exciting accomplishment was being the Entertainment Chair during the actual Marathon Event. I literally worked on the event from the beginning through the end and it went very smoothly. I felt accomplished having planned and executed 30 hours of scheduling for entertainment and food for over a thousand people. It was extremely stressful, but that is why it was even more fulfilling. During the closing ceremonies, I have never felt prouder.

HC: With such a large organization, how does DMUM organize that many volunteers?

L: Most people sign up to be dancers and they can sign up with their friends or individually. Then, each dancer is placed on a team led by two Dancer Captains. Each of these teams are organized together into pods, which include approximately 6-8 teams. Each pod has a Pod Leader, a Dancer Relations Representative, a Dancer Fundraising Representative, and a Family Relations Representative. There are so many people, so this is a good way to organize, even though it sounds complicated. Each pod is assigned to their own family that they work with on a personal basis throughout the year.

HC: How can people get involved? Is it too late for the 2012 Dance Marathon?

L: We are always open to get people involved and encourage that they contact our organization if they are interested in any capacity. If anyone wants to be a dancer, the third registration date closed, however, we don’t turn anyone away!

HC: Just for a moment, let’s talk about DMUM’s fundraising. How do you achieve your fundraising goal? What was the total that the organization raised last year? And, how much do you hope to raise this year?

L: Although we consider ourselves to not really be a “numbers organization,” fundraising is a major aspect that allows us to provide the services and throw the events that we like to do. Last year, we raised over $447,000. Approximately 85% of the fundraising comes from individual dancers, while a good portion also comes from our corporate sponsors. Dancers can raise money in a number of ways including “bucketing” on the streets of Ann Arbor, attending fundraising events and attending benefit dinners and bar nights on campus. While fundraising is very important, Dance Marathon is really about the experience and the connections that participants make.

HC: Lastly, what are your future hopes for the organization after you graduate in the spring?

L: My specific mission is that I would like to see dance marathon grow every year, both in student involvement and membership on campus, fundraising and the number of families involved. We have dozens now, but if we could raise enough money, I would love to be able to help even more. As far as long-term goals, I would like to see the program expand. We fund the same things each year because they are well-established programs, but if we could fund even bigger and better programming, that would be awesome!

HC: Is there a link where HerCampus readers can donate to the cause?

L: There is a “Donate” button on the top right-hand side of the homepage on our website. But, the link to the site is http://dmum.org/donate.html

DMUM has a Facebook and a Twitter account that individuals can receive updates about the organization and the various events it holds.

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.