Kylie’s Finds: A Little Something Different

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Hi guys – it certainly has been awhile.  As usual, I’m swamped with work and school madness, but I assume that’s the case for most of us, isn’t it?

I know that usually I post about nifty little things that I find on the always glorious interwebs, but today, I just wanted to write about something a little different.  I wanted to talk about things that often get forgotten due to the internet – things that are really still pretty awesome, but we toss aside because they’re perhaps less convenient.  I hope you enjoy this list, at least for the nostalgia factor.

1. Planners – There is nothing that I enjoy more than flipping to a new week in my Lilly Pulitzer planner.  As a college student with an extremely hectic schedule, I know that I need somewhere to record all of my commitments, appointments, and the like, and to be honest, hand-writing them in my big pink planner is infinitely more fun than typing things into my iCal.  Plus, my planner came with STICKERS.  Who could ask for more?!
  2. Actual Photos – when is the last time that you took a camera to the drug store and actually had prints made?  I don’t know how to put it into words, but there’s just something really nice about holding onto a paper photo as opposed to staring at one on your screen. 
  3. Event Invitations – I can’t tell you how much I hate the fact that no one sends paper invitations to much of anything anymore.  I know, I know, it’s impractical… but there’s almost NO personal touch to clicking a few buttons and creating a Facebook event invite.  I can’t be the only one who feels like there’s nothing that quite says, “I guess you can come too” or “I’m inviting tons of people in the hopes that a quarter of you will show up to make it look like I’m at least semi well-liked” than receiving an invitation to a party or other event over Facebook. 

The list is short and sweet, but I could go on forever.  The moral of the story is this: every once in awhile, it’s probably worth it to abandon the conveniences that the internet offers in exchange for a little classic enjoyment.  Happy nostalgia hunting, ladies.  

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.