Kristin Nagle ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Four hours of practice Monday through Friday and traveling weekends while in season.  Imagine trying to balance this while keeping pre-med status and majoring in Movement Science.  This week’s campus celebrity, sophomore Kristin Nagle, does just that.  As a walk-on to the University of Michigan gymnastics team, Kristin seems to have a grasp on how to manage such a hectic lifestyle.  When I sat down with Kristin to discuss teammates, balance beams, and the daily life of a Michigan athlete, I quickly discovered that Kristin is not your ordinary student.  She understands how to stay balanced and live in the moment, a virtue that many never achieve. 

Kristin started gymnastics when she was only two years old.  From there she continued through high school and eventually decided to compete in college.  “I never saw myself competing for such an amazing school, but when I talked to the coaches I realized I could do it,” Nagle said.  Kristin always knew she wanted to go to the University of Michigan regardless of if she would be able to compete, but when she was accepted to the school in the Fall of 2009 and later offered a spot on the team, Kristin was ecstatic. 

HC: What was your training in high school like? 
Kristin Nagle:  That’s actually one thing that really separates me from my teammates.  I got to do a lot of things in high school that they didn’t because my club allowed me to do other things.  I was able to be on the yearbook staff, go to football games, and even do another sport [diving].  Other girls spend all of their time doing gymnastics.  I’m glad I got to experience so many different things. 

HC: What is your daily routine like?
KN:  It’s challenging to get anything done.  Life is basically wake up, go to class, and then go straight to practice.  I have to pack a sandwich and figure it out.  We practice for four hours, and then I come home, eat, shower, and head to the academic center for athletes. 

HC:  How do you deal with such a demanding practice schedule?
KN:   It takes a lot of drive and motivation.  You have to separate your life.  At practice you can’t be upset because you have a lot of work to do otherwise you fall apart.  My whole life I have always been the kind of person that was structured, busy, and on the go.  It’s all I know, so continuing that lifestyle shouldn’t [and hasn’t thus far] be that hard.  I honestly wouldn’t know what to do if I had free time. 

HC:  How do you manage to separate your gymnastics from your school and social life?
KN:  It’s difficult and it takes a lot of work.  Gymnastics requires you to be not only physically strong, but mentally strong also.  It’s something you have to practice just like anything else.  You have to be able to separate things and focus on what you’re doing to have a good practice.  At first I got really caught up in it.  I had to step back and refocus.  You have to go to class and enjoy your life and then worry about gymnastics.  You have to live your life outside of gymnastics in order to be good at it. 

HC:  You and your teammates must spend a lot of time together.  Does everyone get along?
KN:  My teammates are my best friends.  I don’t have time to talk to many other people, although I do make the effort to hang out with people from high school and make new friends.  But I hang out with my teammates every day.  Everyone gets along really well.  There are always little nit picky things but we always get over those things because they don’t matter in the grand scheme of things. 

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.