Khyati Somayaji: Bringing Relief For Africa to the University of Michigan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As women, we want to see other women succeed. It’s a source of pride and inspiration. Meet Khayti, a student successful way beyond the realm of academics. Khyati, a junior studying BCN and Biomolecular Science, doesn’t just seek out opportunities to grow. Rather, she creates them. Between MCATS, classes, and general life, Khyati finds time to run her own club, all while being beautifully humble. Get ready for the pride and inspiration to flow.

Her Campus: Tell me about yourself- hometown, family, etc.

Khyati Somayaji: Originally I was born in India but when I was one and a half I moved to Illinois. We’ve moved around a lot, starting out in Illinois then moving to Arkansas, Tennessee, and finally Kansas. So technically I’m from Overland Park, Kansas. I’m an only child so I’m very close with my parents. My mom is a doctor and my dad is in business. We like to spend time travelling together- right now that’s not very possible but we go whenever we get the chance. My family’s awesome.

HC: Why are you pursuing BCN and Biomolecular Science?

KS: I’m pre-med but mostly I’ve grown up liking science. In high school I developed a passion for psychology in particular (that was the reason for BCN). It’s a good mix of social and biological psychology.

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

KS: I’m in MedLife and I’ve been on the committee since my freshman year. I’ve really grown to like the people in that community because we share the same passion for the health field. I’m also an SLC facilitator. I’m treasurer of the LSA Honor Council and we focus on promoting academic integrity on campus. We work closely with the Dean of Academic Affairs to spread the word about what our club means through outreach events. Last year I choreographed a dance in the IASA show–shoutout to co-choreo Ayeesha Patel! But I devote most of my time to Relief for Africa, a club that I started in January of last year.

HC: How did Relief for Africa (RFA) get started?

KS: The idea came to me in the summer of 2015. I was looking through some of the philanthropic organizations close to Ann Arbor and RFA popped up as one of the non-profits nearby. I really like the close knit community that they’ve formed and their focus on preventative medicine. I think this kind of care is more substantial than instant care. They’re training doctors and nurses to detect medical issues before they become widespread problems. These doctors then travel to African countries to provide preventative aid. I got in contact with Rama Kanneje, who runs the organization (and works at the UMich hospital!). He was excited to get younger minds involved in RFA. As a campus club, we wanted to come up with an event or initiative that didn’t have to do with travelling (which isn’t very feasible for students) and that we could call our own.

HC: Why did you want to start an RFA chapter on campus?

KS: I wanted to raise the student voice and allow others to step up and be leaders in the community.

HC: What is RFA’s mission?

KS: We have three pillars: Medicine, education, and leadership. We tried to create a project for each of these pillars. This year we came up with an overarching project called The Global Innovation Challenge. The GIC targets students who have innovative ideas, whether they’re fundraising campaigns or ideas for medical products, etc. We bring these ideas to the public and host workshops with speakers who have grown their ideas. We hold ourselves to the Michigan difference- we want every student to leave feeling like they’ve made a difference in the community and to see their goals realized.

HC: Why is leadership important to you?

KS: I really value compassion- I think leadership brings out vulnerable qualities in a person. Starting a club wasn’t easy. There were times when we didn’t know what we were doing and times when our members were confused. Being a leader brings you down to your lowest but it’s the process of coming back up and realizing who you are that is the most important part. Also, once people are thrown into such a huge population of students, it can be scary to step up and be the leader that you’ve envisioned yourself to be. I want to motivate students to get their ideas heard.

HC: What are your passions? KS: I really enjoy dancing and writing, reflecting about my day through personal topics about me and about life. I’m obsessed with Grey’s Anatomy. I consider myself a food connoisseur.

HC: If you didn’t have to take any classes, what would you be doing?

KS: I’d be sleeping! But really I’d want to go on a backpacking trip in Europe, or on an extended vacation in Switzerland. I love the views- it’s all about the views.

If you’re interested in RFA get in touch with Khayti! Anyone with innovative ideas is welcome.

Photo Courtesy of Khayti Somayaji.

Lauren is a spiritual, sarcastic science-geek from just outside of Philadelphia, PA. She studies cellular & molecular biology with a minor in writing at the University of Michigan. She's been labeled an "old soul" but can also demonstrate a lack of adult-like qualities. When she's not furiously taking notes in a lecture hall or blogging, you might find her practicing yoga, being unproductive with her roommates, reading, drawing, or meditating. Or watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a big bag of popcorn in her lap. Or looking at pictures of her dogs and wishing that her parents would ship them to Ann Arbor.