Josh Johnston, 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Name: Josh Johnston

Class Standing: Freshman

Hometown: East Jordan, MI

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Relationship Status: Taken

Her Campus: What are your hobbies?

Josh Johnston: When the engineering course load doesn’t consume my life, I spend most of my free time getting involved with my student orgs. I am the Brotherhood and Sustainability Chair for Triangle Fraternity, I am a member of the Greek Life Sustainability Team, and I recently got involved with a student coalition that is pushing the University to use more renewable energy. And when I’m not doing any of those things, I use the rest of my time working out or spending it with friends.

HC: What’s your favorite sports team?

JJ: When it comes to sports, I’ll cheer for anything U of M. I am a die hard Wolverines football fan and follow the season religiously. Outside of college though, I watch a fair amount of Lions football and the occasional Tigers game.

HC: What is your favorite Michigan tradition?

JJ: All of the madness that is the Big House and Michigan football. Shouting the verses of The Victors, knowing what to do when a ball is kicked into the crowd (throw it out of the stadium of course!) and the general pandemonium that takes over Ann Arbor every football Saturday is a truly unparalleled experience.

HC: What is your ideal Valentine’s Day gift?

JJ: I’ve always been a sap for the handmade gift. Make something personal with a good story behind it that I can actually use and I’ll be smitten for sure.

HC: Who is your celebrity crush?

JJ: Emma Watson. Like honestly, she’s so perfect in every way.

HC: What’s the first thing you notice about a girl?

JJ:  The first thing that I notice about a girl is her eyes. Sounds deep and sappy I know, but you really can tell a lot about a person from looking them. And who doesn’t love pretty eyes?

HC: What’s your biggest pet peeve?

JJ: People who chew with their mouths open! It’s a basic skill that entirely too many people lack.

HC: Dream job?

JJ: My dream job would be to help provide the rural people of Costa Rica with a source of affordable, renewable energy, be it wind or solar. There are currently millions of people in the world without any hope for getting electricity into their homes, and I want to play my part in changing that.

HC: Favorite movie?

JJ: My favorite movie is definitely Forrest Gump. Or basically anything with Tom Hanks in it. There have been many a productive night lost due to scrolling through the channels looking for background noise and noticing Forrest Gump is on. No matter how many times that I watch it, I can always manage to pull something new from the film. It really is a classic.

My name is Jenn. I'm a student at the University of Michigan and I'm double majoring in Communications and Psychology.