This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Major: Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience

Year: Sophomore

Fun Fact: I can fit a whole bag of popcorn in my mouth

Her Campus: What is UMTTR at the University of Michigan?

Jane Smith: Michigan UMTTR (You Matter) is a college chapter of the national organization, UMTTR. The organization aims to raise awareness about mental health, end the stigma surrounding mental health issues, and work to prevent teen and young adult suicide. We are aiming to change the story of bullying and stigmatization to a community where every person feels that they matter. Michigan UMTTR is led by young people in order to help fellow young people. At our core, we believe that everyone has value and that we should have a community that supports this and strives to change the situation, if it is not the case. 

HC: Why did you first get involved in UMTTR? What is your role in the organization?

JS: At the beginning of my freshman year of college, I lost my mom to suicide. I felt alone, but then I met a dear friend who was in another club with me, who had also been affected, personally, by suicide, and that’s where it started. Back in her hometown, Maryland, her high school had started the organization after the loss of a classmate, who was my friend’s brother. They aimed to stop bullying, discuss teen mental health, and prevent teen suicide. My friend told me about the organization, and I loved the message and its goals. We then decided that we wanted to establish a college chapter, and so Michigan UMTTR was born in the fall of 2015. Within the college club, I am the co-founder and co-president, alongside my friend. My role has included promoting the club across campus, planning events, running meetings, and collaborating with other mental health groups. My favorite part of being in this organization is seeing the transformations we are making on campus, no matter how small. To see the talk about mental health become more open, resources on campus become more available, and to see people trying to change the discussion around mental health is so rewarding and makes me feel so thankful that there are other people who feel the same way I do.

HC: What kind of events has UMTTR hosted, and what kind of events will the organization host in the future to raise awareness and to educate students about mental health on campus? 

JS: We will be having our first fundraiser later this week. Throughout the semester, we have been participating in mental health awareness walks with other campus mental health groups, such as the University of Michigan Defeat Depression Dash and the Out of the Darkness Walk. We raised over $2000. We have also participated in the Social Justice Fair on campus, and Michigan UMTTR has become an advisory board member of Athletes Connected, which is a collaborative group of professionals, athletes, and students who all aim to promote mental health resources, discussion, and change in the lives of student athletes. Recently, I participated in the campus Mental Health Monologues, which is an event that allows students to share their stories about mental health to other students on campus. In the future, we are hoping to host more fundraisers and a basketball tournament. The basketball tournament is at the heart of the original UMTTR organization. The young man for whom the organization was founded was a great basketball player, and we are hoping to carry this tradition forward.

HC: With the increase in awareness of mental health on campus recently, is there any advice that you would give a student who is struggling with his/her mental health and is unsure of how to reach out for help? 

JS: When someone is struggling with mental health, it can feel like there is no one to turn to or that the options are extremely overwhelming. I know how hard it is to have mental health issues on top of being a college student. I felt extremely scared of asking for help, but I knew that I needed to do something. I started by talking with friends who helped me to find the right counseling program. Reaching out to a friend is a great first step, and I would advise these students to look into mental health resources on campus. There’s things like CAPS, campus health professionals (University Health Service), calling a crisis hotline (National Suicide Prevention Line 1.800.273.8255), joining a mental health organization (Michigan UMTTR, Wolverine Support Network, Active Minds), or talking to a friend or trusted professor/mentor who may be able to help. I would also want these students to know that they are brave for seeking help and that sometimes this can be the hardest part of the journey. To those students struggling, you are not alone. There are people who are there to help and who want to help. You are so brave, and you can do this. You matter!

HC: Is there anything you would like to add for students who want to get more involved with UMTTR in the future?

JS: For those wanting to get involved with UMTTR at the University of Michigan, feel free to find us on Maize Pages or contact me at smithji@umich.edu for more information about our meetings and events. If you are at another University and feel that UMTTR could make a difference on your campus, think about starting a chapter! Follow Michigan UMTTR or UMTTR on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to see what we are up to. If you are seeking more information about the organization, check out umttr.org. Most importantly, remember that you matter!!

I'm from Atlanta, Georgia, but mind you I do not have a southern accent (even though I secretly want one). I'm currently pursuing a double major in History and Political Science (don't ask me if I'm going to Law School because I honestly don't even know what I'm eating for dinner). I love writing, reading, binge watching netflix, working out, eating, and most importantly I love hanging out with my friends. My life goal is to one day complete the Mount Nachissimo Nacho Eating challenge at Tio's.