Jaclyn Nagel: Her Campus’s New Editor in Chief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Name: Jaclyn Nagel

Majors: English and Creative Writing

Minor: Digital Studies

Hometown: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Fun fact: I once ate a live fire ant.

Her Campus: How long have you been a part of Her Campus? What made you want to get involved in HC?

Jaclyn Nagel: I have been involved with Her Campus since the second semester of my freshman year. I always loved writing, and after the hard journalism I wrote in high school I wanted to try something new. Working for an online magazine seemed like the best way to continue writing in a way that was a better fit for my personality.

HC: What kinds of roles have you taken on in Her Campus UMich?

JN: I initially started as a writer. The second semester of my sophomore year I was promoted to News Editor, in which I not only continued writing for Her Campus, but also began editing articles for both the News and Blog sections. Then, at the end of my sophomore year I was given the position of Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief. 

HC: What other writing and editing experience do you have?

JN: As I mentioned before, I wrote and edited for my award-winning high school newspaper “The Andover Shied” (RIP). I also attended an intensive writing program in Dublin this past summer.

HC: What other activities are you involved in on campus?

JN: I am a member of a sorority on campus, but for now I am disaffiliated because I am a part of the Recruitment Task Force for Panhellenic. I am also a group leader for the Wolverine Support Network, which aims to de-stigmatize mental health on campus and help students provide an emotional support network for each other through the use of small groups. And last year, and hopefully again this year, I worked with the Victoria’s Secret Pink campus reps to promote the brand on campus. 

HC: What do you envision yourself doing after graduation?

JN: After graduation I would love to go on and work for a national magazine. I love writing about all things having to do with women, food, drinks, and travel. It would be a dream come true to get paid (even a little) to do that.

HC: What are you most looking forward to during your time as EIC?

JN: I am most looking forward to expanding our staff, increasing the quantity and quality of our content, and raising our national rank from the platinum level to the pink level. 

HC: What do you think makes HC so special?

JN: Growing up, I was always a little boy crazy. I always had a focus on the boys around me and what they thought of me. I had never done anything that was just really just for women and because Her Campus is written for women, that’s the focus. There’s no double vision where you’re thinking about what the guy in your French class is going to think about what you wrote. It’s also a way to get to know other women who are interested in the same things you’re interested in, without there being a competitive or a popular edge. Everyone gets the same opportunities with Her Campus. No one’s “cooler” than anyone else. We’re all just there to have fun and do what we love.

Rebecca Lawson is the Managing Editor (former Editor in Chief) of Her Campus at the University of Michigan. She is a senior in the University of Michigan School of Information's new Bachelor of Science in Information program, and is also pursuing Michigan's Program in Entrepreneurship certificate. After graduation, she will be working as an Associate Consultant for Microsoft in the Seattle area. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @abovethelawson! And be sure to follow our chapter's Twitter and Instagram @hercampusumich!