harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Combat Homesickness During College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

College is likely going to be some of the best years of your life. Have people told you that before? I definitely have heard it so many times. It is only November and my experiences so far have been extremely fun. However, there is a small detail that seems to be brushed under the rug. Is it ok to sometimes be sad and miss my family? Is it normal to be homesick?

The answer is yes. No matter how happy you might be, there may always be a part of you that just wants to lay down in the comfort of your bed. Many people feel homesick at some point, including the ones that put on a brave face and may surprise you. You are not alone. Guess what? This feeling will also get better over time.

One very important strategy in managing this emotion is taking each day one step at a time. Thinking about the number of days that you will be away from home will only stress you out more. It is helpful to focus on each task you complete and not let the sadness consume you. Make a list of what you want to accomplish and be proud as you make progress. This is one of the only benefits of having a lot of homework; you will not even have time to let your mind wander.

Keeping in touch with your family will ensure you won’t feel fomo about the things they are doing. Ask for updates and talk as if you were still sitting at the dinner table with them. Be sure to tell them about your new updates and how college is going. Sending pictures back and forth is also something I recommend. I can’t tell you how much I love when my mom sends me pictures of my adorable dog, Jack. Do not forget that these people know you better than almost anyone else. Even if you are down, they know how to cheer you up and make you smile.

This one may be obvious, but it is also easy to forget about. Do things that make you happy! This could be a range of different activities and tailored to your specific interests. Go take a walk and stumble upon a new cafe or coffee shop you never tried before. Treat yourself to a little online shopping. (I particularly enjoy doing that and easily end up scrolling different websites for hours.) Create a new playlist of songs you really vibe with. Most importantly, surround yourself with good people. You will feel less alone when you are hanging out with some genuine friends.

Already looking forward to your next visit home? Channeling that excitement, plan ahead of what you will do during your trip. Make lists and schedules of how you will fill your time, whether it be just hanging out, going to your favorite restaurant, or reuniting with high school friends. If you check my notes on my phone, you will see many lists of things I plan to do when I go home. Hopefully, this will make the time fly by quickly. In addition, this will ensure that you are making the most of your time and maximizing your trips home.

It is now November and spooky season is over. Winter is coming, unfortunately. However, that means that Thanksgiving and Christmas season is on the clock! This is one of the best times of the year, so try to be present and in the moment. Just because you may feel this way does not prevent you from being happy. You got this!

Eden Gilan

U Mich '23

Hey! I am Eden Gilan! I am a Freshman at University of Michigan studying Communication and Media. You are most likely to find me drinking coffee at Expresso Royale, scrolling through Instagram for way too long, or eating cool foods with my friends. Go Blue!
I'm Melanie Stamelman, a junior at the University of Michigan. I am the Campus Correspondent of UMich's chapter of Her Campus and am incredibly passionate about lifestyle journalism.  I follow the news and lifestyle trends, and am a self-proclaimed Whole Foods, spin obsessed wacko.  Thanks for reading xoxo.