Holy Shrimp, We’re Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

It’s almost impossible to believe that senior year of college has already found
its way into my life. I’m sure that I can speak for nearly every member of the
senior class in saying that these next few months will undoubtedly be some of the
most emotionally complex time periods of our lives. While we will, of course, be
balancing the same old pressures that school has always wrought on our weary
minds, we will also be facing the terrifying reality that we’re closing a huge chapter
of our lives – college is ending forever… And for me, it’s ending even earlier than
most, as I graduate ahead of schedule in December 2012.

If you’re anything like me, this whole “playtime is over” concept is a relatively
miserable thought. Although I am certainly excited to get out into the “real world,”
and experience “real life,” there are an abundance of things that I will miss dearly
about my college life and the people who have become such pivotal parts of it. It
is difficult to embrace the idea of acclimating to a new environment outside of The
University of Michigan, although adopting a sort of new normal is inevitable, I’m
sure.

The bottom line is this: although I can try REALLY hard to resist the change that
is coming my way (whether I like it or not), it would be much more intelligent to
spend this time enjoying all of the things I love about my little collegiate world
rather than stewing over how scared I am to begin my responsible adult life. For
this reason, I’ve decided to dedicate my blog posts this semester to all of the things
I love about being a college student, in the hopes that it will force me to appreciate
this time in my life rather than resist it.

As I have taken an absurd amount of time to explain the concept, I’ll keep this one
quick.

I absolutely love that I bump into oodles of people I know on a daily basis, just by
walking around on this campus.

One of the things that makes Michigan’s campus so unique is the fact that it is set up
in such a way that it is nearly impossible to avoid interacting with people on several
occasions during a normal day. While this can be rather unfortunate if you’re trying
to avoid seeing a certain someone, it is certainly helpful in reminding you of just
how many people on this campus know and love you. The friends that I have made
here at Michigan are without a doubt the greatest people I’ve ever met in my life,
and I’m thrilled by the fact that seeing them is so easy as a member of this campus
community.

Even though we won’t necessarily be together after graduation, I know that the
people I’ve met here will always be linked to me by the common bonds we share,
not only as friends, but as Michigan graduates. I have no doubt that the close
relationships I have formed will remain strong as time goes on, and I am excited to
see those relationships develop even further as this chapter in our lives comes to an
end.

Until next time… Go Seniors! Go Blue!

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.