Holy Shrimp, We’re Seniors: Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As promised, here’s my second ode to college. Since this will be my only post in the month of October, I figured that it was only appropriate to discuss Halloween. October 31 is an exciting day for many non-college students in the United States for a variety of reasons.

For small children, it’s all about the allure of buckets of candy, staying up late, and dressing up as your favorite TV character du jour. Can’t you just remember the thrill you felt when pulling the first Halloween costume catalog out of the mailbox?

As you get older, however, Halloween becomes more about the prospect of parties and events than about fun-sized candy explosions and foam-lined character costumes. Although you may have gone to a few Halloween parties throughout your high school career, everyone knows that you haven’t seen Halloween until you’ve seen it through the eyes of a college student – ESPECIALLY if you’re a Michigan wolverine.

I can easily say that experiencing Halloween every year has been among my favorite experiences as a student at U of M. While I could probably do without the exceedingly large number of questionable (and by “questionable,” I mean “terribly tasteless”) costume choices by many of my female comrades, there is something to be said for the sheer hilarity that ensues when such a large number of people are collectively interested in one thing and one thing only: having an absolutely ridiculous time.

I love the fact that my campus gets excited about dressing up like idiots. I love that everyone makes time to go out at least once or twice during our sacred “Halloweekend,” and most importantly, I am both sad and nostalgic as I approach my final Halloween as a Michigan undergraduate.

If I can offer some veteran advice to my younger readers, do yourself a favor, and wear comfortable shoes. While heels might look really adorable with whatever costume you’re rocking this year, they’re going to look a lot less adorable in your hands as you drag your barefooted self down South U at 2AM (The AAPD loves to chat with girls carrying their shoes). Additionally, be safe and smart. Make sure you and your team of matching costume cronies travel together, as there really is safety in numbers.

Most importantly, have a great time this year, ladies. Go seniors! Go Blue!

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.