Style > Beauty

Gen Z’s Top 10 Beauty Brands of 2023 have been Revealed

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Introduction 

I think we can all agree that 2023 was a significant change in the makeup world with the debut of the “clean girl look.” While Gen Z continues to redefine beauty standards as 2023 has finally closed, Kyra’s been hard at work studying the top 10 makeup brands we loved the most over the past year. From influencers driving purchase decisions to platforms dictating trends, let’s dive into what really shaped the beauty industry in 2023. After witnessing this revolution firsthand, Kyra’s top 10 will come as no surprise. 

The Study 

Kyra, an innovative creator agency producing patented technology for marketing campaigns, conducted a groundbreaking survey in November 2023. Through an Instagram survey, they polled 1000 participants aged 18–25 from the US and UK, unveiling pivotal insights into Gen Z’s beauty preferences. The study revealed what governs Gen Z making purchases. A staggering 57% of makeup users rely on trial and error guided by creators, 22% trust their own trial and error, creators directly influence 15%, and a mere 2% base their decisions on friend recommendations. Influencers are given that title for a reason. This study will help these brands change the trajectory for their marketing strategies in 2024. Platforms, as the heralds of inspiration, reveal a distinct hierarchy: 39% turn to TikTok, 36% to Instagram, and 6.4% to YouTube. With that in mind, here are the results: 

Results 

1- Elf 

2- Dior 

3- Glossier (also 3rd in skincare) 

4- Maybelline 

5- Fenty 

6- NYX 

7- Rare Beauty 

8- Charlotte Tilbury 

9- ColourPop 

10- Too faced 

Analysis 

Expectedly, Gen Z loves their dupes. The interesting part is the contrast in affordability between Elf and Dior, the top 2. While Elf prioritizes inclusivity and accessibility, appealing to those who value quality without worrying about making a dent in their wallet, Dior uses luxury as an allure, welcoming consumers into their market of sophistication and prestige. These ideals are what the “clean girl” look is all about: effortless beauty. With that in mind, it makes sense that the top three makeup products Gen Z ranked as most important were 1) mascara, 2) concealer, and 3) lip gloss. Dior combines simplicity and sophistication to enhance natural beauty with a touch of elegance. Despite these opposing strategies, both adored brands claim top positions on the list, reflecting the diversity and variety of the makeup industry. Elf and Dior, each with their distinctive charm, come together to rule the makeup kingdom of 2023. 

Conclusion 

As we bid adieu to 2023, an undeniably revolutionary year in beauty, Kyra’s investigation of Gen Z’s Top 10 Beauty Brands offers fascinating insights into the industry’s evolution. The rise of the “clean girl look” reveals what Gen Z values in makeup. Kyra’s survey unveiled the driving forces behind makeup choices, from the influence of creators to the platforms shaping trends. The results, with Elf and Dior leading on top, explore how both affordability and luxury epitomize the essence of the “clean girl” aesthetic—effortless beauty. In this world, Elf’s commitment to inclusivity coincides with Dior’s luxurious charm, each with its own hot spot in the beauty industry. Reflecting on the 2023 “clean girl look,” these brands, each with their own distinct personality, leave an indelible stamp on the makeup world. 

Artist, student, writer and Altoid chewer