This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Everyone, sit down, it is time to learn a thing or two about Martha Cook.

Unfortunately, the all-girls dorm has been associated with ridiculous stereotypes, like being the campus’s coven. I’m here to break it to you all that unfortunately, though it makes a good story, we at Martha are not a coven.

That boy rule? Yeah it is a thing but not quite as extreme as you probably have been told. Boys are welcome into the dorm, as any other guest, they’re even allowed 24 hours! Though they cannot be on the floors past visiting hours, they are welcome to be downstairs in the Gold and Red rooms. Unfortunately no one can camp out in either the Gold and Red room, they can stay to work on their studies as long as they’re escorted.

Escorted? Seems like an extreme measure right? Not really. Unlike other dorms Martha has stayed traditional and unfortunately doesn’t have as many M Card slider safety features. No one enjoys strangers entering their home unannounced. Though it may seem silly this is necessary for residents to know they have a safe home.

What about those magical exclusive Friday afternoon teas?! Yeah. They’re also a thing. They are pretty fantastic as well as delightful and you should want to come to one! The tea chair provides residents and their guests with a different theme every week as well as different delicious menus. The architecture in the building is just as phenomenal as the food. Unwind on a Friday afternoon in the Gold Room with a cup of tea or punch and cucumber sandwiches. You won’t be disappointed.

Finally, if Martha Cook seems too expensive for you to live in, don’t let that deter you from applying to live here. There are opportunities to help cover room and board costs such as an alumni scholarship. Though the scholarship interview may be intimidating, Martha Cook is definitely worth living in. From annual traditions like Harry Potter week, Friday afternoon teas, Thursday themed dinners, and International Tea you won’t get these experiences anywhere else.

Images courtesy of The Martha Cook Building 

History of Art major with a double minor in Museum Studies and Native American Studies. Looking forward to my senior year at UM and staying involved in all of my organizations.
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!