Everything You Need to Know About Post Malone and His Twelve Carat Toothache Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Post Malone, whose full name is Austin Richard Post, is a popular singer- songwriter, particularly in rap and hip-pop genres. 

Background

Born in 1995, Malone was raised by his father and stepmother in Texas. His passion for music started in high school, where he used a rap name generator to come up with the idea for “Malone” in his stage name. He began recording tracks and shared them with classmates, earning him the title “Most Likely to Become Famous” his senior year. A few years later, he moved to LA and met with some producers. He released his first full album, Stoney, in 2016, and his career took off from there. This was largely due to the success of the single “Congratulations”, featuring rapper Quavo, which peaked at number 8 on the Billboard top 100. In 2018, he released his second studio album, Beerbongs & Bentleys, which went platinum in only four days and broke the Spotify record for first day streams. Next, in fall 2018, Hollywood’s Bleeding was released, and was nominated for Album of the Year at the 2019 Grammys. However, the tour for this album was cut short due to the pandemic. 

Twelve Carat Toothache 

Post Malone’s newest album, Twelve Carat Toothache, was released June 3rd, 2022. This album contains a few features of other well known artists, such as The Weeknd, Doja Cat, and Roddy Rich. Twelve Carat Toothache is the first album Malone has released since Hollywood’s Bleeding three years ago. The album (deluxe version) features 16 new songs, with the most popular being “One Right Now (with The Weeknd)” at almost a whopping 400 million streams on Spotify as of October 6th, 2022. 

Tour

In addition to this album, Malone also announced a Twelve Carat Toothache tour with Roddy Rich, which began in July 2022. His performances included a grand total of 23 songs, with the setlist found here. The performances included a sensational acoustic performance of “Stay”, as well as “Go Flex”, and the first half of “Circles”. His stage setup was shaped like a trident so fans from all angles could see him up close, and the stage lighting was incredible. When Post Malone performed his St. Louis, MO show, the stage broke and he fell through and broke a few ribs. Despite this, he persevered, finishing the rest of the show and continuing the tour. On September 20th, he posted on his Instagram a post of him pointing at the hole saying “F U hole.”

In the Detroit show (that I was lucky enough to attend), Malone’s reputation for goofing around on stage through silly dances sparked laughter in the crowd. A fan from the pit threw their bra on stage, so he do-si-do’ed with the bra on his head. The lighting, which changed dramatically for each song, blew me away, as well as the fire and smoke that came up from the stage during the bridges of some songs. However, my friend and I were a bit disappointed that Roddy Rich did not make an appearance, and neither Malone nor Rich informed the audience. The last show of the tour is scheduled for November 15th in Los Angeles, and beginning early 2023, Post Malone will open for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in New Zealand and Australia. Following his touring, Malone will probably take a break at home and spend time with his fiancée; the family welcomed a new daughter earlier this year. 

Post Malone’s music career continues breaking records every year. In total, he has received 30 Grammy awards and 154 nominations, which is even more impressive considering he has only released 4 albums. 

Avid book lover of romance, fantasy, and anything popular on TIk Tok. Big fan of going for jogs and finishing 5k's for orgs with my friends. Biopsychology, cognition and neuroscience major :)