Elena Contis and Kate Ondra, VS Pink Campus Reps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Where did you get your first bra? Your first thong? Well, if you’re anything like me, it was probably covered in sequins and from Victoria’s Secret. In order to satisfy all of my Victoria’s Secret (VS) dreams, I got an inside look at what it’s like to be a VS PINK Campus Representative (AKA every sorority girl’s dream job).

Her Campus: What are some other things that you guys are involved with on campus?

Elena Contis: I am currently the finance chair for my sorority, Sigma Kappa. Also, I was in an all-girls a cappella group on campus, The Sopranos, for the last couple years.

Kate Ondra: I’m an intern in the Athletic Department for public and media relations, the Vice President of Finance for the Panhellenic Executive Board, and the Senior Enrichment chair for Zeta’s Programming Council.

HC:  How and when did you become the VS PINK Campus Reps?

EC: To apply I sent my resume to PINK in December and had an interview in January for the position. I heard shortly after that I had been selected!

KO: I applied with a cover letter and resume, and was then selected to have an interview with a member of the PINK team from the Home Office. I was emailed about three weeks later notifying me that I had been selected as the campus rep.

HC: What is the best part about being a VS PINK campus rep?

KO: I really enjoy interacting with other PINK reps across the country from the PINK campus rep website we all use to communicate with each other. It’s really helpful to see the events and promotions that other reps come up with and share over the website to spark ideas of my own. I also really enjoy representing a brand that’s so well received and so many girls love to wear.

HC: What has been the most difficult part about serving in this position?

EC: I think coordinating the street team has been a challenge. We are students at a top-notch university, so it’s hard aligning schedules for meetings and events, and getting members to be completely invested in what we are doing.

HC: What are some of your responsibilities?

EC: Our responsibilities include managing a street team to help us with everything we do, planing 4-5 events throughout each semester, overseeing all of the social media platforms for U of M PINK, constantly updating the PINK campus rep page with blogs and pictures of what we are doing on campus, completing online surveys and questions from PINK inquiring about products, and raising awareness on campus to drive people to the stores.

HC: What kind of events do you plan? Are any coming up in the near future?

EC: We plan promotional events in the stores to help drive in-store traffic. We also have tailgate events or on-campus events to bring awareness to students. Also, we collaborate with other on-campus organizations to be involved with each other’s events, and in the spring we have a philanthropy event to give back to the community. We are having a Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show viewing party next Tuesday at the multicultural center, so get excited!

KO: Generally the events are planned to drive awareness of the brand and in the process, increase our following on campus. We have an upcoming event this Saturday at the SHEI magazine launch party at Study Lounge at 7-9pm, in which we will have a table to promote PINK.

HC: What advice do you have for students who want to follow in your footsteps?

EC: I think getting involved with our street team is the first step, since it’s a good thing to add to your resume and shows PINK you are really passionate about doing something with them. Then just get involved with other things on campus and show you are able to balance being a student with being involved.

KO: Show commitment in the organizations you’re involved in. It shows dedication if you commit to the things you’re involved in, and reflects well on your work ethic.

HC: How do you think this experience has influenced you/will help you in the future?

EC: Fashion is right up my alley and I think that this is the first step in my long road in the fashion industry. It has really showed me how a brand works and how it promotes itself. Hopefully I can continue to do more things with PINK!

KO: It’s been a great outlet to use my creativity in creating graphics, marketing tools and programming for the brand. This position has also allowed me to gain further professional experience in the importance of responsibility. Whether it’s adhering to certain deadlines or carrying out particular events, this position expects a lot of the campus reps, and I sincerely enjoy the challenge of executing these involved events and making our presence on campus more apparent. I want to represent the brand to the best of my ability, and I’m very grateful to have the opportunity to be a part of the PINK organization.

Jaclyn Nagel is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the University of Michigan. She is a senior studying English and Creative Writing and earning a certificate in Sales. She enjoys eating copious amounts of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and reading the Harry Potter books over and over again. Follow her on instagram as @manisandmojitos! And make sure to follow our chapter's Twitter and Instagram at @hercampusumich!