From Cookie Monster to Denard Robinson: University of Michigan Loves the Ta-tas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Ta-tas.  Who wouldn’t want to save them? The rapidly assembled partnership with Save the Ta-tas required little marketing on behalf of Her Campus UMich staff; stickers, pins and pamphlets ultimately distributed themselves. The pure witticism of the name, branded on highly coveted accessories and apparel by college students was speedily acknowledged and embraced with every lap the marketing team took around the Relay for Life track.

Here at Her Campus University of Michigan, we pride ourselves on our stellar ability to multitask, so while we were given our assignment on Save the Ta-tas we were also inspired by the upcoming Relay for Life. We decided to promote both cancer awareness as a whole and the importance of breast cancer awareness. Or should I say ta-tas awareness? With so many collegiettes™ of Her Campus UMich involved in a diverse set of activities (from Greek Life to Michigan Electronic Dance Music Association), the possibilities of promoting Save the Ta-tas became endless.

Initially, those involved in Relay for Life looked skeptically at the slogan pasted across our chests, but as we simultaneously showed our support for the American Cancer Society by walking around the track and advocating for Save the Ta-tas, we were greeted with an abundance of enthusiasm and chuckles. Everyone wanted to save the ta-tas! And while Her Campus generally targets college women, men were more than happy to get their hands these products. We stood side-by-side with our past hero, Cookie Monster, showed our support for superheroes Nacho Libre and Superwoman, and introduced ourselves to present heroes, ROTC students and football players. We even squeezed into prison cells to strike a pose with “felons” and engaged with 25-cent-hug-givers. All were eager to promote cancer awareness and even happier to support Save the Ta-tas.

Each lap brought more and more inspiration to our team of marketers and today we foresee the combination of Save the Ta-tas and Relay for Life at the University of Michigan as an annual event. Its alluringly humorous name and worthy mission have people screaming for Save the Ta-tas. Hey, after all, even Denard Robinson loves the ta-tas. 

Here are some pictures of the HC UMich Marketing Team distributing Save the Ta-tas Merchandise!

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.