Collaboration for a Cause

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The University of Michigan, in addition to many other colleges in the country, struggles at times to create a hospitable and amicable environment for every student, and often a social divide is seen between Greek life and non-Greek life students. Given the recent publicity our University in particular has attracted, it’s pretty apparent something needs to change. A great way to do this is through giving back. 

Each Greek affiliated organization, Panhellenic or otherwise, has always had a desire to raise awareness and help their philanthropic partner. If enthusiasm and awareness on campus grows for events that benefit Greek life philanthropies, the student body as a whole can create safe and helpful ways to get involved and grow together as a community. So, I sat down with Mackenzie Polhman, one of two Tri Delta Philanthopy chairs (with Katie Karadjoff), to learn more about Delta Delta Delta’s upcoming philanthropy event “Tri-Hop.”

Her Campus: Tri-Delta has a national partnership with St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital raising over 31 million dollars for them over the past 15 years, with Michigan’s chapter raising the most money in the Midwest. Why do you think it’s important to get the word out about St. Jude?

Mackenzie Polhman: There are so many amazing things about St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, but one of the most amazing aspects is that no family has to pay a single penny. Families come from all over of the nation, even all over the world, to save their child, and the last thing on their mind should be medical bills. They should only have to focus on their beautiful child getting better and getting healthy. St. Jude saves lives. Their research is used in hospitals across the country. Their research and care is the best in the world and it is available to all. St. Jude saves more than their own patients.

http://www.tridelta.org/philanthropy/stjudemilestones

HC: So Tri-Delta nationals sent you to their headquarters to see exactly what our donated money goes to. How did your experience at the St. Jude conference in Memphis, TN shape the way you look at your philanthropy?

MP: I honestly had no idea what to expect out of the St. Jude conference. I was expecting a tour of the hospital and some speeches to help me “drink the kool-aid”. But visiting St Jude was life changing. Our goal became tangible, and everything we worked so hard for was right in front of us, only inspiring us to work a million times harder. My philanthropy became so much more than a position with a to-do checklist. We work so hard so that somewhere down the line it will help children get better and get the care they deserve. No child should suffer.

HC: How much money do you want to raise next year for St. Jude?

MP: This year we hope to raise close to $70,000 or more. Our goal is to raise $75,000 or more next year.

HC: How can we improve as a campus to get more involved in philanthropy?

MP: As a campus we should learn and recognize all of the amazing charities around campus. We need to inform each other and get smart about it. We need to educate ourselves and each other in order to make philanthropy more than what it is on this campus now.

Sigma Phi Epsilon and Kappa Kappa Gamma also have upcoming philanthropy events students should absolutely check out. 

Her Campus: Tell us a little about the event we can look forward to!

Henry Aadam: I’m the president of SigEp Michigan Alpha. Each year since 2010, SigEp has hosted “Shaving for a Cure” through the St. Baldrick’s foundation to raise money for childhood cancer research. The premise of the event is that each brother sets a fundraising goal, and we set one as a chapter as well. At the end of the fundraising period we all shave our heads in honor of those going through treatment. Over the past four years, our chapter has raised over $120,000 for this cause, and this year we are on track to continue the trend. With one week left to go, we’ve raised over $31,000 and hope to make the stretch to $35,000 by Sunday when we pull out the razors. It’s truly a fun event for everybody and it goes towards a great cause, we look forward to continuing to improve it for years to come.

For more information and to donate: https://www.stbaldricks.org/events/mypage/2319/2015

Kappa Kappa Gamma has an upcoming event this Thursday in support of their foundation, which creates scholarships for women around the country. It’s a fantastic event you should definitely attend as well.

To learn more about where your proceeds will go to: https://www.kappakappagamma.org/kappa/foundation/

If you’d like to purchase a ticket to Tri-Hop, please contact me at robynmg@umich.edu or Mackenzie Polhman at mpohlman@umich.edu

Please take the time to consider attending and supporting your student body and making an active effort to create a more inclusive and amicable environment on campus!

Robyn Green is a junior majoring in Communications with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She currently serves as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus with aspirations of working in Advertising after graduation.