Kellyn Simpkin-Hat Girl Writing Book Grass Outside
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

Checking in On My New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Admittedly, I have not given much thought to my New Year’s Resolutions after around mid-January (see: early January.) Fortunately, I’m not alone in this regard. According to Business Insider, 80% of people forgo their new year’s resolutions by the time February hits, and this past weekend I realized I was possibly part of this group.

A little over a month ago, I, like many, told myself 2020 was going to be a fresh start. I came into the new year with a few goals. Namely, I wanted to focus on eating more plant-based, reading more, and being the best friend I could be to those around me. Of course, this article is not to say that I haven’t touched a vegetable all year nor that I currently am the worst friend someone who could have. Rather, it’s at this point in 2020 that I’m feeling like I need a check-in with my goals and priorities, and maybe you’re the same way. After all, the goal of resolutions is to improve ourselves and that’s never a bad idea.

At its core, my new year’s resolutions were all centered around ways I could take better care of myself and those around me. My lifestyle at home is vastly different from my lifestyle in Ann Arbor, so I think now is a good time for me to evaluate what self-care looks like each of these worlds. In terms of plant-based eating, diet is definitely trickier to manage here at school than it is at home. Fortunately, I’m figuring my way around the many vegetarian/vegan options offered in dining halls (24 Carrots in South Quad has been outdoing itself these past few weeks.) I’ve also recently been into the pre-made options at the Blue Market in the Union, which have items that fit a countless array of dietary preferences. While there are some days I’m more successful in eating sustainably, there are other days where I cave and go for NYPD chicken tenders with my friends. This resolution is not so much about being strict and neglecting myself of some of my favorite foods, but more about having intention when it comes to meals and being more courteous to the environment. It’s all about balance! 

This same concept holds when thinking about my resolution to be a better friend. It’s so easy to get caught up in work assignments, extra-curricular activities, or really any other way you spend your time at school. I was reminded of this past, particularly crazy week. I was stressing in Espresso Royale (as one does) when I received an out of the blue phone call from my best friend from home. Looking for an excuse to take a break from studying, and missing her sweet voice, of course, I answered. We laughed about our weekends, talked about how busy we’ve both been this semester, and vowed to do a better job talking on the phone. I realized how easy it is to be fixated on the in-the-moment stressors, and neglect the people most important to us. My new year’s resolution is going to look like a lot more Facetime calls and study breaks this semester. When reflecting on this goal of mine, I think about what my priorities here at school are versus what I want them to be.

Honestly, I’m not sure what inspired me to check in on my New Year’s Resolutions. I’m not normally one to hold them sacred, but I do think I have been spending more time thinking about self-care, and for me, reflecting on my goals for 2020 is a good way to keep my values in line. But, then again, ask me in a month how much reading for fun I’ve been doing.

Kate Gould

U Mich '23

Hi y'all! I'm currently a freshman at Michigan from Dallas, Texas. I'm always down to discuss the Bachelor and get coffee (regardless of the time.) I am passionate about environmental justice, love volunteering at a local Pre-school, and am planning to minor in food sustainability. Besides Her Campus, I am involved with Go Blue Wear Pink and am a University Student Ambassador.
I'm Melanie Stamelman, a junior at the University of Michigan. I am the Campus Correspondent of UMich's chapter of Her Campus and am incredibly passionate about lifestyle journalism.  I follow the news and lifestyle trends, and am a self-proclaimed Whole Foods, spin obsessed wacko.  Thanks for reading xoxo.