Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Top o’ the mornin’ to ya! St. Patrick’s Day is rapidly approaching, which means long weekend celebration filled with the Emerald Isle color – green!  This holiday is traditionally held in honor of the death of St. Patrick, Ireland’s patron saint, but you don’t have to be in Dublin to celebrate like the Irish do. Take a look at some dazzling American festivities to get in that “Luck of the Irish” spirit!

Go Green
On March 17th, we’ll all be wearing, eating, and drinking this color of enchantment.  So, accessorize your outfit with plenty of green! Show your spirit with some cute St. Patty’s Day face tattoos, green and gold necklaces, or shamrock earrings.  Go as wild as you’d like with your creativity from dying your hair green to dressing up as a leprechaun!  This is the only day where it’s acceptable for Wolverine fans to wear Sparty’s favorite color. 

Check out the parades
Attending a St. Patrick’s Day parade is a tradition you don’t want to miss out on! There are plenty of local parades spanning across the country, providing entertainment with marching bagpipers, folk songs, and unique Irish step dancing.
The most popular and well-attended parade is held in New York City with nearly 2 million spectators, but if you can’t get to the Big City, you can watch it on TV or check out a local parade. If you attend the parade in Chicago, take a look at the Chicago River – it will be dyed green!

Have an Irish feast
St. Patty’s day is known for its delicious food creations. Be sure to indulge in corned beef and cabbage, Irish soda bread, potato soup, and shamrock sugar cookies to celebrate like the Irish do! Whether you head out to a traditional restaurant or try some home cooking of your own, enjoy the array of scrumptious treats.

St. “Fratty’s” Day
College women sure love St. Patty’s day since it means one thing – frat parties won’t be scarce! Enjoy the weekend filled with music, dancing, and all-around extravagant entertainment. Be sure to put together a festive outfit for the celebrations. Just remember to be smart and stay safe.

Hit up the bar scene
For the 21 and up crowd, the bars are the place to be for St. Patrick’s Day.  Sample a bunch of tasty brews, which will all be dyed green, as you laugh, relax, and enjoy the festivities with your buddies.  For those celebrating in Ann Arbor, check out Conor O’Neill’s Irish Pub on South Main Street and The Blue Leprechaun on South University.

Caroline is a junior at the University of Michigan, studying Communications & Writing. She was born and raised a Jersey girl but attends school in the Midwest and now lives out West in Arizona.  In her free time, Caroline enjoys playing tennis, reading James Patterson novels, cheering on the Wolverines at the Big House, lounging in the Arizona sunshine, and snuggling with her boxer puppy.
Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.