The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

It’s a crisp, fall day in Ann Arbor. You slept in for the first time in three Saturdays (since the frat house actually wasn’t blasting music for a tailgate at 7a.m.) and your schedule is wide open without hours spent in and around the Big House. If you find yourself wondering how to spend your time on a day like this, then we’re here to help! We’ve compiled a list of our favorite fall-themed activities for anyone living in or around Ann Arbor to enjoy.

1. Head to an Orchard

It’s the classic, Hallmark-movie-esque way to celebrate autumn! Ann Arbor and the surrounding areas are packed with “U-Pick” apple orchards, pumpkin patches, and all kinds of family farms with different experiences tailored towards celebrating the fall season. My personal favorite would have to be Wiard’s Orchards: the cider mill, petting farm, wagon rides, corn maze (with a haunted nighttime option), delicious fall treats and proximity to campus makes Wiard’s the ultimate location for a fall outing with friends.

1. Take a walk in the Nichols Arboretum

“The Arb”, as it is commonly referred to, is the perfect place to soak in the beauty of the changing leaves. Located just outside of the CS Mott Children’s Hospital and Mary Markley Hall, The Arb is just a short walk from Central Campus or a quick bus ride from North! With seemingly endless trails to walk, one can explore open fields, thick forest, and the banks of the Huron River for hours at a time. Feel free to take a break in the serenity of Michigan’s autumnal splendor at one of the many benches or pavilions scattered throughout the park. Don’t forget to stop by the Matthei Botanical Garden on your way out to take a look at what kinds of plants are in season!

1. Organize a Picnic in the Diag

One of the many benefits of being a “Champion of the West” is that you are surrounded by century-old architecture everywhere you look. The Diag is surrounded by timeless red-brick buildings, the oldest of which (Mason Hall) dating back to 1841. Spread a blanket beneath a massive oak or vibrant maple and enjoy the scenery. The Diag’s centralized location makes it the perfect meeting place for people from all around campus, and it is just minutes away from several local eateries and grocery stores to grab some snacks to share from. If you’re a more economically conscious picnicker, stop by the nearby South, East, or North Quad dining halls for a to-go box and fill it up with delicious fresh food (just make sure to return those containers)!

1. Bake a Fall-Themed Treat

To go hand-in-hand with a festive picnic, create a fun snack or dessert that will bring on all the fall feels! Find a friend living off campus or take advantage of a dorm kitchen and get creative! Of course, you can’t go wrong with something pumpkin or apple flavored, but you might want to consider some less obvious fall flavors: chai, nutmeg, cinnamon, hazelnut, cranberry, ginger, or caramel all add that nostalgic, autumnal taste without feeling too repetitive. Some of my favorite fall treats include Taylor Swift’s Chai Cookies (it’s a real thing, google it!), pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, or a caramel apple charcuterie board (just slice up some apples, buy caramel sauce, and chop candy or cookies to sprinkle on top). Even if your creation doesn’t turn out quite as planned, turning on some chill music and enjoying some peaceful time in the kitchen can make it all worth it. 

1. Be Thankful- Volunteer!

With Thanksgiving approaching, show some love to our community by volunteering at a local food pantry. Food Gatherers is a Washtenaw County based pantry that fights hunger by distributing food to those in need and advocating for local, state and national policy change. Volunteer at either their food warehouse to help process incoming food, or in their Community Kitchen to serve warm meals to fellow Ann Arbor residents. Food Gatherers also provides resources to help volunteers learn how to advocate for change on their website if you’d like to get more involved. Due to our vibrant and diverse community, there are several other volunteer opportunities available in Ann Arbor that can be found with a quick Google search. Give back to our amazing city and have fun meeting new people or working alongside friends this autumn!

1. Host a Spooky Movie Night

If you live in a dorm, it’s easy to miss that cozy feeling of snuggling up on a couch to watch a nice movie with friends. Luckily for UMich students, most dorm buildings have community lounges with TVs and easy computer hookup to stream your favorite fall movies or shows! For the thrill-seekers, October is the perfect time to catch up on some scares by watching a horror movie. For those of us who prefer to sleep at night, watching classic children’s Halloween movies or reruns of old TV show Halloween episodes can be just as fun. Up your game by bringing some popcorn, candy and drinks to give yourself that theater experience just steps away from your dorm! If you are interested and willing to head to a cinema, hit up one of Ann Arbor’s famous movie theaters: both Michigan Theater and The State Theatre are located just off the diag and offer several features, making them great choices to enjoy a fall flick at. 

1. Visit a UMich Museum

For us Michiganders, fall can mean lots of rain and chilly days. If you’re looking for an indoor activity to keep you entertained in Ann Arbor, stop by the University of Michigan Museum of Art (UMMA) or the University of Michigan Museum of Natural History! The Natural History Museum boasts fossils and artifacts spanning four million years of life on earth at their year-round exhibits, and rotates exciting new exhibits every few months to make each visit new and exciting. The UMMA is home to several pieces of modern and historical artwork from around the globe. Additionally, the museum hosts changing exhibits of many different mediums and styles. Both University museums are free to all visitors and have attached cafes to make your trip a little more comfortable. 

1. Explore Kerrytown

One of the cutest and most unique areas of Ann Arbor is Kerrytown! Home to the famous Zingerman’s Deli and Kerrytown Market, it’s easy to spend an entire day in just these few blocks! Kerrytown’s crown jewel may just be the Ann Arbor Farmers Market: a large covered pavilion where local artisans and farmers gather to share their goods every Saturday and Wednesday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.. This attraction is even more exciting during the fall as many local crops are ready to be harvested and served fresh. If you’re somebody who prefers to stick to a dining hall meal plan rather than purchase and store your own food, then there are still several vendors selling any kind of home-made product imaginable: cosmetics, pottery, clothing, plants, and so much more! Keep an eye out for events hosted by the Market, you won’t want to miss them!

1. Cozy Up at a Cafe

Ann Arbor is home to several unique cafes that offer a variety of drinks, pastries and meals as well as quiet places to catch up with friends or study (because let’s be honest: fall is tons of fun, but can also get academically busy very quickly)! My personal favorite would have to be Ann Arbor Coffee Roasting Company. The scones are to die for, the coffee is always amazing, the employees always welcome customers in with a smile, and it is located right on the corner of State and North University. The M-36 Coffee Roasters Cafe is another great option for Ann Arbor locals. They roast organic coffee beans just minutes away in Whitmore Lake, and their unique, delicious beans are served all over Southeast Michigan. Of course, a list of Ann Arbor cafes wouldn’t be complete without Sweetwaters. Their menu offers a wide variety of drinks, bakery goods, breakfast sandwiches and (shockingly) a selection of incredible desserts. Although it is a small national chain, there are eight locations right here in Ann Arbor! No matter where you are on campus, a warm cup of coffee or refreshing iced drink is just steps away (and for us college students, this can be very important).

Autumn is the perfect time to explore Ann Arbor for the first time or fall in love with it all over again. Whatever you do this season, make sure to pause and remember how lucky we are to live in this amazing city. When Michigan’s seasons get extreme, remember to enjoy them all to an equivalent extremity.

Addie is a freshman at the University of Michigan. She has several published articles and photographs in National Horseman Arabian Magazine, and is a member of the University of Michigan Equestrian Team. Her home town is Grand Rapids, Michigan.