This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

My Favorite Small Businesses You Should Check Out This Year in AA! 

Since transitioning from dorm life to living in my own apartment this year, I’ve found myself shopping more frequently. Be it groceries, home decor, or daily essentials. Without access to campus dining halls or a personal vehicle, sourcing groceries presented a challenge. Initially, I considered relying on a friend with a car or using Uber to travel to the nearest grocery store. However, after a month of following this routine, I realized it wasn’t the most practical solution, so I had to come up with another way.

Sparrow’s Market 

Initially, I wanted to find a local market or grocery store that could serve as an intermediary for my trips to Kroger and Whole Foods. That’s when I discovered Sparrows Market. The perfect, small local market tucked away in Ann Arbor’s Kerrytown. It’s a super close walking distance from campus and they give a 10% discount to students at The University of Michigan (as long as you have a valid Umich ID with you). Not only do they have great pre-packaged meals but they have excellent local produce from farms around the state and a remarkable butcher and fish counter. It’s the perfect place to pick up your groceries for the week!! 

TeaHaus 

As part of my New Year’s resolutions, I decided to give up coffee. I found myself drinking multiple cups and day and I knew that it was a habit I wanted to break. That’s when I decided to make the switch over to hot tea. Itt took me a while to discover my favorite flavors and brands. While discussing with a friend who had just asked me to grab coffee with her at one of the coffee shots on State street that I had given up on, she suggested TeaHaus, which has since become one of my most favorite spots in all of Ann Arbor. The ambiance, shaped by a strict no-technology policy, accompanied by delightful snacks, creates a perfect setting for either gatherings with friends or simply indulging in much-appreciated “me-time”.

Rock Paper Scissors 

If you have read any of my previous articles you’re no stranger to my passion for journaling and bullet journaling. Journaling is one of my favorite things to do after a long and stressful day. It’s the perfect time to reflect and just kind of work through everything that has happened that day. I have my favorite craft store in Austin, Texas where I live when I am not in school. Finding a similar sanctuary in Ann Arbor had proven to be more difficult than I thought. So I checked out some big brand chain stores but they weren’t doing it for me. That’s when I came across Rock Paper Scissors. This store has the cutest stationary and pens perfect for your journal or bullet journal.

This list is by no means exhaustive and these are just a few of my most visited local shops. Ann Arbor is known for having a plethora of great small family owned businesses for students to shop at. So this semester and this year I strongly recommend supporting some local businesses in your area. If you need some ideas on where to start…check these out!

Olivia Vegas

U Mich '26

Olivia Vegas is currently a sophomore at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI. There she is studying communications and media, hoping to work in publishing. Aside from writing, Olivia enjoys watching movies, trying new coffee shops, and traveling.