This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

We have all been through the trials and tribulations of makeup. From our foundation matching our skin tone to deciding if we actually know how to put on eye shadow, it can be quite a confusing process. Her Campus UMich is here to alleviate some of that makeup stress in lieu of your looming midterm stress. We tested different mascaras and picked the top 3. We rated them based on three criteria: Length (does this effectively lengthen my lashes?), Volume (Do my lashes appear thicker, and more full after using this mascara?), and Clumping (Does this mascara cause inevitable clumps in my lashes? AKA, the ultimate pet peeve). 

1.     The classic- Colossal Volume- Maybelline NY

This easily found drugstore brand is tried and true. The name really says it all, hence the 9/10 on the volume scale.

Length: 7/10 – While this mascara has its perks, the length is gives is not one of them. Compared to other mascaras, it did fairly well on the scale, but overall we look towards our next option for length.

Volume: 9.5/10 True to its name, this really does give your lashes major volume. A noticeable difference from other “volume” inspired mascaras.

Clumping: 9/10 Possibly the best part about this mascara is the lack of clumps. Nothing is worse than having them stuck in your lashes the whole day. This mascara provided a thick layer of black without clumps.

2.     For the green girl in you – Physician’s Formula Organic Mascara

Advertised as an “all natural” mascara with 100% natural ingredients and made cruelty free, this mascara can also boast how long it makes your lashes appear. After one day of wearing it, we were getting compliments left and right.

Length: 10/10 Absolutely the best mascara we have tried, especially for this purpose. It made our lashes touch our brows…what?!

Volume: 8/10 The volumizing brush really helps to add a fullness. The length it provides creates a killer look.

Clumping: 7/10 Must be careful when applying this one. Clumps CAN be avoided, but in a rush you might find yourself with some heavy mascara-laden lashes.

3. The all around WINNER- Rimmel Extra Super Lash

. Length: 10/10 WONDERFUL. Cannot say enough about this mascara. For just four dollars we found ourselves no longer needing to continue the search for length, volume, clumping and overall wearability. This Rimmel product gave us MASSIVE length.

Volume: 10/10 Even better than our first pick, this mascara gave so much volume we could see our eyelashes when we looked up!

Clumping :10/10 Not a clump in sight.