books and stationary with skull on top
books and stationary with skull on top
Photo by Melissa Constandse
Life > Academics

An Ode to Stationery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Scented, erasable, permanent, colored; the stationery we use can take many exhilarating forms. The action of writing, highlighting, stamping, and more, is highly personal and. Every person has a special connection to some sort of stationery. From a favorite pencil to a selective sticky note color, these items also display one’s personality. I bet you can totally imagine the pristine girl with color coordinated sharpies or the laid-back guy who just rolls with one dull, wooden pencil. Either way, they express themselves with these interesting tools. 

Taking the time to meticulously choose how to present your own notes and ideas acts as a fingerprint. No two people’s pencil pouches carry the same content, and isn’t that amazing? Additionally, the act of sharing stationery with others can want to share a piece of your soul. In most cases, it really is just handing someone a pencil you could not care less about only to have the receiver forget to even give it back. But letting a friend use some of your favorite pink sticky notes feels like a whole other level of friendship. 

In this technological age, typing on computers is very efficient. But a part of me will always be heartbroken that later generations will move away from these special bonds with stationary objects. Fighting over scented markers in second grade just builds character. While we transition away from paper cuts and graphite stains in favor of cramped knuckles and dust in between computer keys, I hope we retain some of the personality our stationary gave us. 

Tara Wasik

U Mich '27

Studying political science and music performance at the University of Michigan.