Amy Saslekova: New Service Chair of Kappa Alpha Pi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Her Campus recently had the opportunity to interview Amy Saslekova, a sophomore in LSA majoring in International Studies with a focus of Political Economy and Development minoring in Asian Languages and Culture. Amy has also newly been initiated as Service Chair of Kappa Alpha Pi, one of the University of Michigan’s premier pre-law fraternities.

Her Campus: Why did you decide join KAPi and what opportunities have you received through it?

Amy Saslekova: As a freshman who was exploring pursuing a pre-law track, I was looking for ways on campus to involve myself in a community of students who were passionate about law. Joining KAPi has been the best decision I’ve made so far during my time at Michigan! It has introduced me to an amazing group of friends, accomplished lawyers in various practices and fields of law, and countless professional, philanthropy, and brotherhood events.

HC: What will your role as Service Chair be next semester?

AS: As service chair of KAPi, I am responsible for planning multiple philanthropic events throughout the year for the members of the fraternity. Service has always been something that’s been of great importance to me, so I’m really excited to get to help provide opportunities for the fraternity members to volunteer.

HC: How do you think being Service Chair is going to help you in the future? Would you run for more Executive Board positions if given the opportunity?

AS: Being service chair for such a large organization will be challenging, but it will also help me learn how to properly plan and execute important events. This position will require me to exercise strong communication skills, time management, and organization to effectively plan events. I do believe that being in this position will help me improve skillsets that I will use in the future both academically and professionally. I plan on remaining involved in KAPi during the rest of my time at Michigan, whether that be as a brother or as an executive board member in the future.

HC: What else are you involved in on campus?

AS: During my time outside of classes and KAPi, I am involved in many organizations on campus. Through the Mentorship program of the University of Michigan’s Office of New Student Programs, I serve as a Mentor for my group of freshmen mentees. I am also the secretary of the International Business Organization and social chair of a Pan-Asian leadership organization. Other than the organizations I am involved in, I also work as a reference assistant at the Stephen S. Clark Library at the school.

HC: Finally, do you have any advice for students looking to join a professional fraternity?

AS: If you’re considering rushing, you should! The best piece of advice that I would give is to try to make an effort to attend every event you can, and really show your interest in the possibility of becoming a member of the professional fraternity. Even if you don’t get a bid the first time, it’s definitely worth re-rushing if you feel passionately about wanting to join.