Amy Pestenariu: Martha Cook House Board President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Name: Amy Peștenariu

Major: Cognitive Science

Minors: French & Medical Anthropology

Hometown: Dearborn, Michigan

Fun fact: This summer, thanks to UMich’s International Internship program, I spent two unforgettable months doing biochemical research for INSERM (the French National Institute of Health and Medical Research) in Montpellier, France.

Her Campus: How long have you lived in Martha Cook? What made you want to live there? 

Amy Pestenariu: This is my fourth year living in the building. I actually heard about Martha Cook from my next-door neighbor, who lived here during her second year. She told me of Martha Cook Board’s (MCB) traditions of Friday tea, holiday dances, Messiah Dinner, International Tea, etc. and drew me in with descriptions of the congenial atmosphere amongst the residents, which would lead to lifelong friendships. Of course, the prime central location on campus was also a big plus.

HC: Please briefly describe your role as the President of the Martha Cook House Board. 

AP: The Martha Cook Constitution describes it best: “The President oversees all House Board functions, from individual to collaborative efforts. She runs the weekly House Board meetings and coordinates activities and functions of the Board in accordance with the Building Director, Governors, and Alumnae. She also organizes various building activities throughout the year, including Welcome Week, fundraisers, all-house votes, parties, and other events”.

HC: What made you decide to run for president and what other leadership positions did you hold beforehand? 

AP: It was at the prompting of several other House Board members that I decided to run for president of the building. President is actually the third position that I’ve had the privilege of holding on House Board. Sophomore year, I represented Martha Cook in the Residence Halls Association and junior year I served as House Board secretary. Within the building, I also work as one of two senior office assistants in our front office. They felt that my experience in the building and being on House Board would aid me in being a good president, and I’m appreciative of the votes that the women cast to elect me.

HC: What are the most challenging and most rewarding aspects of being president of MCB? 

AP: For me, the most challenging part of being president (and even just a general House Board member) is knowing that we make changes and decisions on behalf of the whole building. Our efforts in organizing events, meetings, outings, etc. can help shape over one hundred forty girls’ college experiences, and wanting to do the best possible is certainly a challenging endeavor. On the flip side, seeing residents enjoying themselves within the building and at the events that we put on is the most rewarding part for me.

HC: Care to share one of your favorite MCB moments?

AP: Having lived here for three years already, I have so many great memories. Working at the front desk, I love seeing the wonder on people’s faces when they walk into the building for the first time; the main hall architecture is absolutely stunning. I love every meal time in the building, especially dinner (after class), being surrounded by friends when every conversation devolves into a laugh fest. I love the memory of my first Messiah Dinner, being dazzled by the glitz and glamour of the dresses and the decorations. Almost every moment in Martha Cook makes for a favorite memory. 

HC: Are you involved with other UMich organizations and if so, to what capacity?

AP: Yes, I’m currently involved with three organizations on campus. Since freshman year of high school I’ve competed in forensics, public speaking, and acting-not the science, and I still continue at the university. This spring will be my third time co-directing the Wolverine Forensic Tournament, a competition held on campus for high school students across the state. Last year we had over 300 people attend! This is my second year with the Science Learning Center, facilitating Bio 171 study groups. I love the subject, and I love helping others learn about the every day science behind the body and environment. Last year, a group of interested classmates and I started Students Supporting Doctors Without Borders (DWB) at the University of Michigan (a long name, I know), of which I am Vice President. At the end of last semester, we held a 5K in the Nichols Arboretum that raised nearly $1,400 for DWB, and we hope to expand and be even more effective this year!

Annie has been a writer since she first laid her hands on her grandmother's type writer. Since then, she has adapted to computers and arguably has better grammar. When she figures out what twitter is, you can tweet her here https://twitter.com/MissAnnieMc .