This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As my rapidly approaching graduation often reminds me, you usually only get four years to experience living in your college town. When your college town is as cool as Ann Arbor, you definitely want to make the most of those years. This past weekend, I was determined to use my free Saturday to enjoy a day of fall weather activities in Ann Arbor, and to try a few new things. I ended up having an amazing day, so hopefully, this inspires you to make the most of your college town.

Ann Arbor’s Artoberfest

As part of my goal to experience more of Ann Arbor during my last year of school, I decided to use my weekend off from tailgating to check out Artoberfest, Ann Arbor’s annual art festival. The festival was set up in Kerrytown, conveniently near the farmers’ market which was happening at the same time. As an added bonus, anyone 21 or over could stroll the street with a locally-produced alcoholic beverage while they appreciated the beautiful artwork.

Dozens of artisan’s tents lined Ann Street and Fourth Avenue. The festival had everything from sculptures and knit crafts, to paintings and jewelry. Each artist brought their own unique talents to display. I enjoyed the screenprinting and linocut booths, and my boyfriend bought a beautiful print of a painting of our hometown. I even got a free succulent from the Ann Arbor BMW dealership!  A live band playing on the corner and the array of artists and art enthusiasts made the event lively and welcoming.

Artoberfest is hosted annually by the Ann Arbor Guild of Artists & Artisans, a nonprofit organization of artists whose mission is to provide art fairs and other cultural events to the greater Ann Arbor community. The Guild hosts various other art shows throughout the year as well. If you’ll be living in Ann Arbor next fall, be sure to check Artoberfest out!

Ann Arbor Farmers’ Market

Especially in the fall, the Ann Arbor Farmers’ Market cannot be missed. It’s a great opportunity to support local farmers’ and artisans, as well as to get some fresh foods and unique treats, like flavored honey or painted gourds. I will always promote the plant vendor there; there are a wide variety of plants for great prices. Last spring, I got an aloe plant for less than $5 and it has thrived despite my lack of a green thumb. It has even sprouted numerous babies. This weekend I was on a mission to find a few small pumpkins to decorate my room and make it feel a bit more like fall. The farmers’ market did not disappoint. There were lots of options, but I ended up getting three different colored mini pumpkins that make my room look extra festive. There were many other fall produce options I wanted to check out, but I’ll save that for another weekend.

Fall color walk at the Arb

As someone who lives in a much more rural area up north, the one thing I find Ann Arbor lacks is accessible outdoor hiking and recreation areas. Nichols Arboretum, or the Arb as it’s usually called, is the one exception to that. With plenty of trails and a view of the Huron River, the Arb is a great place to get away from town and be completely immersed in nature. Fall is a great time to walk through the Arb, because it’s the perfect place to see the changing leaves and their gorgeous mixes of greens, oranges, and reds. There were plenty of other people doing exactly the same thing as me, but the Arb was still quiet and peaceful. It’s the best place to go when I need to clear my head or manage my anxiety. Walking the different trails and trying not to get lost in the maze of trees is also great exercise. I’ve spent over an hour in the Arb before without retracing my steps.  

Bill’s Beer Garden

If you’re over 21, Bill’s Beer Garden is a necessary visit in the downtown area. The popular drinks spot is located right across the street from Fleetwood Diner, another Ann Arbor staple. The outdoor area lives up to its name, serving up both beer and beautiful landscaping that almost makes you forget that you’re downtown. The space is full of long picnic tables and other small seating areas, with a bar that serves a variety of drinks from wines to seltzers to beer. I had a mulled cider to really embrace the fall weather, and it was delicious. The bar has the option to rent or buy popular games, so of course I had to buy Uno to play while we hung out there. Another great thing about Bill’s is that, since the business doesn’t sell food, they allow their customers to bring outside food in to have with their drinks. It would be the perfect place to bring a pizza with some friends and have a game night!  That was my first trip to Bill’s, but I’m sure I’ll be back again soon.

It’s easy to get caught up with schoolwork, clubs, work, and just trying to stay afloat in college. This often keeps college students relatively isolated in the campus area. But, I think it’s important to prioritize creating new memories and exploring new things as well. Spending time outdoors, connecting with your community, and appreciating the beauty in simple activities makes life so much more meaningful.   

Jayden is a junior studying English at the University of Michigan. In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, hiking, and traveling.