5 Ways to Break Out of the North Campus Bubble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

1. Go to things. No, seriously, go to events that your particular college puts on and meet people in your major. Go to the late-night events at the UMMA and the Michigan Theatre. Go to the charity events put on by different campus organizations. Just being on central campus can open so many doors for you – it’s amazing how many opportunities are missed here at Michigan because so many students pass up the opportunity to go to the events the university hosts. Branch out!

2. Be friendly in class. This happens all too often: you’ll go to lecture, sit alone, go through your discussion section without ever talking to your classmates, and end the class with a host of missed opportunities. Ask the girl on your right a question if you’re confused. Make a funny comment to the guy on your left. And we all know that there’s nothing that brings college kids together like the struggle #ferdaGPA.

3. Keep in touch with your welcome week/high school friends. This might be self-explanatory, but keeping in touch with old friends will do you nothing but good. As you branch out and start meeting new people, so will they. Introduce your people to their people and before you know it, you’ve got a whole lot of newfound friends.

4. Get involved. Join something! A lot of freshmen put off joining organizations besides Greek Life during their first year in order to “adjust” to college life. While Greek Life is a great place to meet people, there are so many other clubs and organizations you can join, too, that can help you find people who share your same interests and hobbies. From fashion to music to politics, there’s guaranteed to be something for everyone!

5. Get a job on Central. Having a job on Central Campus will force you to stay there basically all day, and can provide you with a whole host of coworkers to become friends with! Plus, who couldn’t use a little extra dough in their pocket?

Images courtesy of: University of Michigan