Life > Academics

5 Lessons I’ve Learned as a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Transferring from a community college to a 4-year institution changed my life drastically over the past two months. Not having been in a classroom since March 2020, I grew surprised by many aspects of college life. If you’re looking to transfer colleges, already have, or are just curious, here’s what you need to know:

That thing you feel awkward about doing? Everyone else does it too. 

I used to feel mortified after walking into a common study space and seeing nowhere to sit. Scanning the entire room while in plain sight of those around me left me worrying that people could instantly tell I was new here and didn’t know where I was going. However, once I noticed others were doing the same thing, and frequently, I understood the situation wasn’t exclusive to new students. If you think a particular behavior makes you look weird, there’s a 99% chance that you aren’t alone in doing it.

Professional clothes are a must-have.

My first interview came much quicker than expected, leaving me in a panic upon realizing I had nothing to wear. Buy yourself a business professional outfit before entering your next college if you don’t have one already, because opportunities could always arise. If you’re worried about price, try searching on Amazon or at your local thrift stores. 

It’s normal to not immediately make friends.

Coming from a college with virtually no student life and whose classes were predominantly online, I was ecstatic to be somewhere I could finally socialize. Meeting new people was refreshing, but I still felt isolated. Being surrounded by people in established friend groups gave me the impression that I would intrude on someone’s life if I tried to befriend them. Now, I acknowledge this was because I was trying to rush the friendship building process. I didn’t make friends instantly, like I thought (and hoped) I would, but that’s okay. 

Take risks, right now.

As someone with a history of social anxiety, I never imagined myself interacting with people the way I do now. Being in college emphasized that I can’t take advantage of opportunities I want if I don’t force myself to be uncomfortable, so I began taking risks. While a risk to me is something as simple as asking a new friend to lunch, the relief I feel after doing so is a substantial reward. “Fake it till you make it” is easier said than done, but it truly benefits your social life and mental health.

Don’t Worry About your appearance.

One of the greatest culture shocks I experienced after transferring was the prominent fashion scene on campus. Everyone seemed more put-together than me, and I quickly became self-conscious. It took conversations with current and former students to convince me that nobody pays close attention to the way I look. So, if nobody has told you: dress for yourself, not for other people.

Izzy is a senior at the University of Michigan majoring in neuroscience and minoring in math. In addition to writing, her hobbies include weightlifting, playing video games, and befriending the squirrels on campus.