This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Ah, the infamous blanket scarf. If you don’t know what a blanket scarf is, it can easily be defined as a REALLY big scarf. People even call it a “blarf” or “skanket”. I recently decided to riskily purchase the warm accessory and found myself completely and utterly confused. How does one wear a square piece of cloth?!

Even after seeing many women rocking this trend for months,  I was unable to make it look remotely good on myself. After much research and many trials, I have come up with this list of fashionable and useful ways to use the blanket scarf. 

1. The Triangle Fold

All you have to do is fold the square in half in order to create a triangle, and wrap it around! This looks great, and feels especially warm.

2. The Poncho

Throw that blanket scarf on over your shoulders and finish it off with a thick belt, and you’ve got yourself a warm poncho!

3. Loose Goose

This one is pretty self-explanatory; just wear the scarf loosely around your neck, so cute!

4. Blanket

Now, this one may seem obvious, but seriously, it’s a great blanket! Use it as a throw on your bed or chair, and when you take that much need nap, cover yourself with this warm article of clothing!

The great thing about blanket scarves is that there are an infinite number of possibilities. Be creative and more importantly, be confident!

Photos Courtesy of diymommy.com, eclipsestores.com, initaloutfitters.com, and wisegeek.com